• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cv joints done!

golf02

"Veeeeery pretty, but can they fight" "General" Donald Sutherland from The Dirty Dozen, you can tell what I watched this weekend.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Haha 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

but a cv joint doesn't need to be phased

FWIW I think VW dune buggy guys would disagree.   At extreme extension of the wheel hubs (downward) the halfshafts can lock up if the cvs are not clocked.  Granted we are not putting our suspension under that extreme but it could happen. 

Tell me I've been misled.  I can take it. ?

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I have yet to work on CV joints, but this discussion made me curious enough to dig this up. 

Is this what you mean by "Clocking", Paul?

The most important aspect of assembling your CV is to insure the clocking of the inner star gear and the outer case is correctly aligned.  It's not difficult if you know the secret.

When you start installing the ball bearings you simply have to line up the WIDE walls of the inner with the NARROW walls of the outer, and vice versa, as shown here in the picture.  If you do this right the CV will swivel around like it needs to for long travel suspensions.  If you do it wrong the CV will have almost NO MOVEMENT to pivot freely.  You'll immediately know something is wrong because you'll struggle bolting up the CV's to the trans flange and hub assemblies.

CV%20clocking.jpg

The image and quote came from a Subaru site --

http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/cv_assembly.htm

huh. 

I was thinking phasing as in the 2 joints make the intermediate shaft rotate in a synchronized non- linear

fashion, as a traditional driveshaft does (and why u- joints make such terrible front- drive pivot joints, 4WDers)

But since only the inner joint plunges, I didn't think the relationship of the 2 joints mattered for extension.

I sure don't know it all.

t

owned a $50 Subaru once.

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

7 minutes ago, TobyB said:

huh. 

I was thinking phasing as in the 2 joints make the intermediate shaft rotate in a synchronized non- linear

fashion, as a traditional driveshaft does (and why u- joints make such terrible front- drive pivot joints, 4WDers)

But since only the inner joint plunges, I didn't think the relationship of the 2 joints mattered for extension.

I sure don't know it all.

t

owned a $50 Subaru once.

I do this anyway

17 hours ago, golf02 said:

I am pretty sure some of you are really over thinking things

Probably.

18 hours ago, Guest_anonymous said:

And did you sync them so the opposite end of the shaft CV is rotated to have the extension the opposing direction?

I think you are referring to the "clocking" we are discussing.

19 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Is this what you mean by "Clocking", Paul?

No.  When I did mine I read as much as I could on rebuilding and re-installing the half-shafts. It took me awhile to understand that at full angle the opposing CVs can lock up if they are not "clocked" properly.  Again I say it's probably not an issue for us as we don't "jump" our cars where the wheels droop to 25°.  Here is a diagram I found on the internet.  Thanks to the poster.

cv joint aliugnmemt tool.jpg

It has been a number of years since I did this, but I believe @Guest_anonymous is making the statement of having the opposing CV rotated (90° or 180°?) so it is still functioning properly with CV at the other end of the halfshaft.

When I did this, I used a 1/4" x 30" aluminum rod to line up the CVs onto the halfshaft in the correct orientation.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

A fellow who built/worked on 917 P-cars looked at the halfshafts on one of my cars and smiled. He noted they would clock the heads of the boot clamps 180 degrees for improved balance of the overall rotating mass, and that they also drilled a hole through the center of the shaft for weight reduction and added strength. -KB

• Like 1
  • Haha 1