• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

manifold heat shield

it'll fit your '73, but it wasn't the one that was used.  Modell 71 cars (257/8/9XXXX VINs) and all squarelights used a much-less-attractive (and long-lived) sheet steel heat shield that either rusts out, or the bolts snap off in the manifold when you try to remove it.  The e-bay one you mentioned is for the earlier roundies (166/7XXXX VINs).  

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

5 hours ago, mike said:

it'll fit your '73, but it wasn't the one that was used.  Modell 71 cars (257/8/9XXXX VINs) and all squarelights used a much-less-attractive (and long-lived) sheet steel heat shield that either rusts out, or the bolts snap off in the manifold when you try to remove it.  The e-bay one you mentioned is for the earlier roundies (166/7XXXX VINs).  

mike

Mike, the beautiful aluminum heat shields returned and made a final appearance on the 49-state ‘76 models, such as mine below. I don’t know if the ‘76 heat shields are interchangeable with the early shields, since the manifolds were not identical.

Best regards,

Steve

95683CDA-C104-4EEB-BE8E-CCB004E04CE7.jpeg

543F3EE5-1DCE-4968-9E2E-1DC1E6DB57A0.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

6 hours ago, RicanBeemer said:

Hello, 

is this the correct manifold heat shield for a stock 1973 2002?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-1600-Early-2002-Exhaust-Manifold-Heat-Shield-69-71-XLNT/223489270025?hash=item3408ffa109:g:OokAAOSwq5Fcu4Mm

or if you got a good one cheaper let me know

Thanks

PM Sent

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

7 hours ago, mike said:

mike

Well put, mine pretty much age welded themselves into place

Fahrt Start

41 minutes ago, MitchaPaLoOza88 said:

mine pretty much age welded themselves into place

Best option could be to remove exhaust manifold and take it to a machine shop to drill them out unless you have access to a drill-press. And new and improved OEM hardware a little pricey and think it is worth it given issues with ordinary hardware.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/screw/07119915057/

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

48 minutes ago, Buckeye said:

Best option could be to remove exhaust manifold and take it to a machine shop to drill them out unless you have access to a drill-press. And new and improved OEM hardware a little pricey and think it is worth it given issues with ordinary hardware.

Ya good call with replacing with good quality hardware. That's one thing I definitely learned a lesson on from the past.

As for the bolts... I got them out. Just an annoyance and major time sink. Luckily I have the Bridgeport in the shop, I just drilled a pilot hole and carefully plunged an endmill.

Fahrt Start

Hello

Thanks all for your help, Am new to the BMW 2002 world so I have a lots to learn.

I already made  the mistake buying a Weber carburator that turn out to be a knock off, thats $200.00 down the drain.

I been spending tons of hours on the site learning on how to keep my car on the road.

Buckeye, am going to order those bolts to make sure they last, thanks.

I always like the 2002's, now I finally have one, very happy.

Thanks all.

2.jpg

2 hours ago, Buckeye said:

I tried to buy the bolts and the total was almost $22.00 with tax and shipping, I will take a chance with the stock ones, thanks.

2 hours ago, stephers said:

not the real full copper that the original were

Neither were they.  Copper is too soft and wouldn't work as a nut.  Test with a magnet.

• Thanks 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.