• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front bumper question

Denisk

Hey everyone!

so my 1973 2002 never came with a front bumper but I decided not put an air dam or flares and decided to go back to vintage look. I wanted to know if there is somewhere I can purchase a front bumper and or if someone is selling theres? I’m assuming I also need to find brackets as well? I noticed some 02’s come with a long style bumper and than there are some short. Is that just based upon the brackets being cut? Thanks! 

picture is based upon the one I’m looking for. 

419C0680-0AAB-4337-8893-B2DDDF43DAE4.jpeg

1973 models originally came with bumper brackets, front and rear, that, in comparison to pre-1973 models, extended an extra inch or so from the body. The 1973 brackets were also stronger than pre-1973 brackets. Together, these features allowed the 1973 models to meet the then-new 2 1/2-mph crash standard.

Your 1973, however, should also accept pre-1973 brackets if you wish the bumpers to be closer to the body and don’t mind some possible re-drilling. Bumpers from April 1971 through the end of the 1973 model year had black rub strips. The car shown is wearing pre-April 1971 bumpers, without the black rub strips.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

And closer (pre '73) brackets will require fender mounting holes for the side bumper pieces to be relocated.

Cheers, 

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Also US (only) cars came with low, pointed bumper overriders, not the taller ones in your picture that were used in the 72 and earlier US cars (Euro cars either had no overriders or very small ones).  Not absolutely vital (the earlier ones will fit) the lower ones are correct for the year.  

Check the for sale section on the FAQ--at least some of the sections (3 bars, two brackets, two overriders and a couple of aluminum spacers) are available new.  But since you're starting from scratch, you'd do better to buy a complete assembly from someone who's parting a car out.

mike

Edited by mike
  • Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

11 minutes ago, mike said:

Also US (only) cars came with low, pointed bumper overriders, not the taller ones in your picture that were used in the 72 

The taller ones were apparently an option for European buyers.  Case-in-point they were equipped on the Dianas.  Just learned that a couple weeks ago.

It’s a real puzzle for we uninitiated.  Be careful when buying the parts piecemeal. The end pieces in these years can be found with or without the holes for mounting the trim rubber impact strips. The overriders can be found with or without the notch for these rubber strips. Find a local car and look closely. 

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

1 hour ago, Mike A said:

The overriders can be found with or without the notch for these rubber strips

The front overriders aren't notched; only the rear ones as the front rubber strip is only applied to the end pieces, not the center.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 minutes ago, mike said:

The front overriders aren't notched; only the rear ones as the front rubber strip is only applied to the end pieces, not the center.

mike

There’s a notch outboard on the over riders to accommodate the the impact rubber fitment  under the chrome. A thin narrow piece of trim (originally gray) completes the assembly 

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

2 hours ago, Denisk said:

Thank you everyone! Now I just need to find someone selling everything haha 

PM me,  I have a friend that has a complete early frt bumper.....if you are interested  I can put you in touch with him. 

Has anyone used a set of 73 brackets on a 72 with the brackets shortened so the bumper is set in the same location towards the grill as the it would be with the 72 brackets?  Also with the fender anchor used?

Or is the point where the bracket branches join too close to the grill so that it can't be shortened.

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

20 minutes ago, jimk said:

Has anyone used a set of 73 brackets on a 72 with the brackets shortened so the bumper is set in the same location towards the grill as the it would be with the 72 brackets?  Also with the fender anchor used?

Or is the point where the bracket branches join too close to the grill so that it can't be shortened.

Seems like this thread near the bottom by @eastsidebimmer has a good answer to use "european" brackets.  Need to look into what they are

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/115936-roundie-front-bumper-mount-study-old-vs-new-with-question/

Thanks Ray.  Looks like using the 73 brackets has no way to set the bumper to grill distance like the earlier ones.