• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Koni Strut + Shock

reyes02

I need feedback on Koni shocks, I’ve seen people say they’re just as good as Blistein if not better. I’m considering buying a set, but don’t want to buy twice, if you happen to have part numbers for standard 02 strut housing (non-ti/tii) please let me know. Thanks.

- Jimmy

i have pretty much stopped buying anything bilstein.  Koni's in 2002, e30 and e36.  much better.  not as harsh on the street feel like they control the springs better  street and track.  have 2 e30 m3's in shop currently.  both on same new sport springs. one with new billy sport, one with new koni sport.  the difference is noticeable.

that said, do not EVER buy Koni "STR-T" dampers  for any car.  bottom of the line and they REALLY suck.  both in operation and quality.

Edited by mlytle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2xM3

I like the Koni single adjustable yellows too.

Bilsteins are very stiff in compression, leading to a subjective 'harsh' feeling,

and a lack of compliance on poor surfaces.

That said, you can have them valved to whatever you want- for additional cost.

THAT said, I've been having some difficulty with Konis in the E30 race car in the last

few years.  It's not

bottoming or topping out, and they're falling apart inside.  To the point that one had

compression damping, but no rebound. 

Keeping firmly in mind- race car.  Kurbs. Other cars.  off- roading.  #700 springs.

t

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Replaced the Bilstein Sports with Koni yellows last year and couldn't be happier with the ride and handling. The car came with the Bilsteins and felt like a truck. These dampers should be renamed Race. Probably perfect for that application.Can't comment on the HDs. The Koni's are set to the softest setting and are paired with H and R springs.Pretty good handling on our NE roads without the bone jarring stiffness. I've also had the Koni's on the e36 with factory sports springs for seven years and very pleased on the road and a few track days. My only complaint is that the Koni's seem to suffer cosmetic deterioration much faster than the Bilsteins but doesn't seem to effect the operation. I know Koni has replaced some because of this.

• Like 1

I have the single adjustable Konis from GC.  They're pretty nice.  For the next real step at $3,000, I think the Konis work just fine.  I do like them being at least a little adjustable...

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

On 2/2/2020 at 12:57 PM, jgerock said:

Koni “yellow” 86-1519 Sport strut inserts are in my tii suspension 69 2002.  Rear of that car has Bilstein HD shocks.

Did you do much adjustments to the Koni struts to get them to feel right with the Bilsteins?

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

I personally don't like the 'digressive damping curve of Bilstein shocks. Especially on such a light car as an '02. Yes you get flatter handling at low speeds and they're probably ideal for racing... but you sacrifice comfort at normal speeds.

Ideally I want a progressive curve matched to my springs. Add a set of IE bars' to complete the package.

I want my car to handle the fun back roads which can be patch work' and bumpy. 

*note: you can have you Bilsteins re-valved but the cost can be as much a full set of shocks 

Digressive-Linear-Progressive-Damping-Curve-Comparison.jpg

Edited by iinca

On 2/3/2020 at 4:22 PM, tomphot said:

Did you do much adjustments to the Koni struts to get them to feel right with the Bilsteins?

I adjusted the koni’s to the middle dampening setting.  Unfortunately, the model I purchased cannot be adjusted without removing them from the strut housing.  This also applies to the koni yellow sport inserts and shocks I recently installed in my 91 318is.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I also like the adjustability of the Konis.  I haven't used them on the 2002, but I love the Koni sport single-adjustable on my e46.  I've used their lifetime warranty twice due to salty NE winters, and still "new" shocks on my car 10 years later!

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT