• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Bottlecap, or not to Bottlecap, that is the question....

tdskip

9 hours ago, Conserv said:

+1

If you decide to pass on them, @tech71, perhaps you can share the contact (with seller’s permission); I’d bet other forum members would be interested.

Regards,

Steve

I didn't pass on them, knew I was buying them as soon as I saw them. Good stuff is rare around here. I'm up to 3.75 sets now.

Pretty nice shape, two have some light curb rash on the outer bead but other than that....

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1557.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_1560.JPG

IMG_1561.JPG

IMG_1565.JPG

IMG_1566.JPG

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

21 hours ago, otisdog said:

Note near as 'rare' as the later 'soup plate' alloys. The older five spokes definitely have casting dates, and were a factory option.

My experience has been different: I’ve found period early OEM alloys considerably harder to find than the late OEM alloys. That’s why my ‘76 wears late OEM alloys while my ‘73 wears the modern version of the early OEM alloys. Both rims were, indeed, listed as factory options on sales brochures, but Hoffman Motors never ordered a set on a new ‘02, rendering them “factory options” only on cars delivered outside the U.S.

I’ve assumed the late OEM alloys were easier to find — for me — because BMW NA dumped a load of them in the U.S., in order to expedite the sale of slow-moving 2002A’s in 1975-76. Those rims were installed “at the docks” (the holding lots at the Ports of a Entry) and at the dealerships. It may be that BMW NA’s “distribution” of these late OEM alloy rims was not uniform, and these rims were concentrated in certain locales. I lived in Pennsylvania during those years and regularly saw 1975-76 2002A’s so equipped in the Mid-Atlantic-to-Connecticut region. These cars were coming through the Elizabeth, NJ, Port of Entry. And my Reading, PA, dealer told me about the 2002A “alloy rim thing” in 1976. Maybe that Port of Entry was a focus of the 2002A “thing”...

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I've had fifteen 02s, and only one with bottlecaps.  I thought it was the cat's, but this was a while ago.  Later I missed selling my old wheels to the smelter b/c the price for aluminum had dropped; I think my last set went to the landfill with wornout rubber still on them.

One thing I remember about 14x6 E30 alloys - it was considerably harder to park.  Maybe old stiff tires were the problem, but I never bought new tires while I had that car so couldn't say.

8 hours ago, Honolulu said:

I've had fifteen 02s, and only one with bottlecaps.  I thought it was the cat's, but this was a while ago.  Later I missed selling my old wheels to the smelter b/c the price for aluminum had dropped; I think my last set went to the landfill with wornout rubber still on them.

One thing I remember about 14x6 E30 alloys - it was considerably harder to park.  Maybe old stiff tires were the problem, but I never bought new tires while I had that car so couldn't say.

Aloha man - yeah the wider wheels with shifted offset can make it tuffer in the steering dept. Espech if u have a smaller then stock diameter steering wheel as I got - a sick Nardi that needs 2 B restored. Gotta have a lil muscle for the lil ones, but no big whoop

2 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

This is one of the oldest topics on this forum...  literally. 

Go to the very first discussion page from Christmas day in 2001 (6318 pages ago) and the topic at the top of the page is:

So... bottlecap prices have remained remarkably stable these last 19 years...  ?

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)