tdskip

To Bottlecap, or not to Bottlecap, that is the question....

88 posts / 4790 viewsLast Reply

Asking for thoughts on my slow rolling '74 Tii project, I have period alloys on there now.

Worth tracking down later wheels? Thoughts? Comments? Letters to the Editor?

Probably a good idea to show you what she looks like on her current wheels.

638DFDBB-2244-4386-A0DF-852336FD76EA.jpeg

(edited)

friends don't let friends put e30 bottlecaps on their cars.  there is a reason all the e30 people throw them away.  literally.  i have thrown away several sets...couldn't give them away.  ?

these were on my 02 when i bought it...they were not on there for very long before...they were tossed.

DSCN3138.jpg

Edited by mlytle
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

(edited)

Good morning and thanks for the fast response.

Huh,  apparently I am out of touch on this. 

Edited by tdskip

Those "period alloys" you currently have are very attractive--clean 'em up and either paint or polish and they would look even better--much better than bottlecaps!  If you want to go for 14 inch wheels due to (slightly) better tire selection, a set of E30 BBS wheels (if you want alloys) or E30 steel wheels (painted silver with the small Euro hubcaps) will give you a different but period appearance with wheels that have the correct offset out of the box. 

A third option would be the 13" BBS E21 is wheels--the fitment is OK on some 2002s, but on others cause tire rub unless you roll the fender edges.

mike

• Like 4

Thanks Mike - let me check what tires I have on there now.

(edited)

I say it is a matter of taste. Some think they are always right in disrespecting others opinions. I like mine just fine.  I do have a new set of General Altamax tires with a lower aspect ratio to give the same relative size as stock no problems with the speedometer.

DSCN12723.jpg

Edited by Mike_R

(edited)
1 hour ago, mlytle said:

friends don't let friends put e30 bottlecaps on their cars.  there is a reason all the e30 people throw them away.  literally.  i have thrown away several sets...couldn't give them away.  ?

these were on my 02 when i bought it...they were not on there for very long before...they were tossed.

DSCN3138.jpg

+1

Let me summarize the benefits of e30 Bottlecaps: (1.) free or very cheap; (2.) much better than concrete blocks or jackstands.

Recipe for relief from your current boring wheels: (1.) paint or powdercoat those beautiful period alloys currently on the car; (2.) find some centercaps; and (3.) install a set of Pirelli Cinturatos, 185/70 VR13. You’re done. Compliments arriving shortly.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

(edited)
52 minutes ago, Mike_R said:

I say it is a matter of taste. Some think they are always right in disrespecting others opinions. I like mine just fine.

DSCN12723.jpg

Mike,

And you have every right to love your bottlecaps! Your opinion counts. But tdskip asked for — and I’m quoting from his original post — “Thoughts? Comments? Letters to the Editor”, so we provided our honest opinions... ?

We all know I’m a grumpy old guy with spare rims to spare, but if I acquired an ‘02 with e30 bottlecaps, they wouldn’t survive Day One.... ?

My opinion.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for all the discussion. I’ve got bigger fish to fry right now, so with the benefit of this discussion I’m going to just leave these wheels alone for now and focus on the mechanical stuff. 

I’ll make sure to keep my next question less controversial, so I’ll be asking about what oil is best, best tires, best color, and why my friend thinks he has a real Tiibut no snorkel (Ha).

• Haha 1

(edited)

OK

Edited by Mike_R
  • Like 1

Very respectfully, I don’t understand the point of asking other people’s opinions about highly subjective matters of style such as wheels (or shoes). Nobody else’s opinion has any value whatsoever when it comes to these things! If you like the way bottlecaps look on your 2002, then by all means, get your bottlecap-on...and rock those Bruno Magli shoes, regardless of what OJ thinks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, COOP said:

Very respectfully, I don’t understand the point of asking other people’s opinions about highly subjective matters of style such as wheels (or shoes). Nobody else’s opinion has any value whatsoever when it comes to these things!

Very respectfully, I disagree. I find getting people's thoughts quite helpful.

• Like 1

(edited)

My local BMW' family would 'cast me out' if I showed up with 'Caps lol. The stigma is undeniable even

though they aren't that bad looking...

However I do like the idea of super 'cheap wheels' in case they are stolen (fat chance) or damaged.

That fact is one reason I like late model 'slots ( but mostly 'cause I have a serious fetish for them and OE trim rings..)

Run whatever for awhile 'till you figure out something you really like...

Edited by iinca
  • Like 1

Did anyone say Bottle Caps? I love bottle caps on 2002s! If you can lower the car a little with some fatter tires they look greeeeeeaaaat!

If anyone throwing away a set for pure hate please send me email. I will pay shipping to get them away from you. 

bc1.png

bc2.jpg

bc3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1