• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LSJ 2.0 supercharged BMW 2002 project

Niczip

Hello Everyone ! 

This is something I have wanted to do for a while now and finally found a clean shell to start with ! I have a 2.0 liter gm ecotec engine mated with an Ar-5 transmission from a Saturn sky ready for the car. I want to do a few other things before I get started with that . The firs two thing I want to do is 1) get a rear end in the car ,now I’m not super familiar with all the BMW stuff yet but I’m learning and that where I’m hoping you can help. What my current plan is , get a “CA tuned” monster rear end kit and run a E30 lsd . The max power for this car will be Around 400hp.... the second thing I’m working on is getting a cage in the car. Has anyone on here put in any of the pre vent kits out there I think I saw two one by auto-power maybe ? How do they fit? If any one can’t point me in the right direction here looking for a weld in option . See pics below of my shop and the car . 

Thanks everyone ! 

EAE333FD-FE3A-41B7-9807-079F14D203E7.jpeg

DFD22B6C-75E8-4175-8E11-2ED30B2ECE9C.jpeg

72E11744-5E28-444A-8CDA-2B3EACC1132A.jpeg

• Like 3

As to putting in a cage:

they are not for street cars.  You will hit your head on it, and in a wreck, you may split your head on it.

I have an Autopower bolt- in cage.  It fits, with room to spare.  It needs to be welded in, or have significant

structural base plates added to the car.

I had an Autopower bolt- in roll bar, and it fits, with room to spare.  It also needs foot plates

Kirk fits a bit better, and may only be available as a weld- up kit these days.

You CAN do a 'shorty' drag racing cage- they're odd, but offer a lot of reinforcement for the pan in 

torsion, and would have to be fabricated.  If you go this route, look at the NHRA rules, and build one their way.

Then you have something to point to when anyone goes, 'Huh?'

Carry on!

t

• Like 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I have a CAtuned monster rear end in my 2002 with a s2000 AP1 swap. I like what they did, but there are a few things to note. 
1- they mounted the Camber adjusters incorrectly. The photos they have on the website even show the wrong configuration. if you compare the correct way: https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/adjustable-rear-subframe-2002/ and then their way: https://catuned.com/2002-monster-rear-end-solution you can see they mounted them flat when they should have been vertical (interior adjusters).

2- the top of the side where the drive shaft connects to the diff rubs on the driveshaft. Im not sure if it is just my setup, but it was something I found out AFTER i already put the whole rear subframe in the back. my setup is a e30 rear diff, with cut driveshaft from the s2000.... so be aware of that and rotate the driveshaft to see if it contacts the top. screen shot attached with a red arrow to the area I had to cut and grind down. 

screenshot-catuned.com-2019.10.29-09_38_43.png

Edited by bianchini
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, bianchini said:

I have a CAtuned monster rear end in my 2002 with a s2000 AP1 swap. I like what they did, but there are a few things to note. 
1- they mounted the Camber adjusters incorrectly. The photos they have on the website even show the wrong configuration. if you compare the correct way: https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/adjustable-rear-subframe-2002/ and then their way: https://catuned.com/2002-monster-rear-end-solution you can see they mounted them flat when they should have been vertical (interior adjusters).

2- the top of the side where the drive shaft connects to the diff rubs on the driveshaft. Im not sure if it is just my setup, but it was something I found out AFTER i already put the whole rear subframe in the back. my setup is a e30 rear diff, with cut driveshaft from the s2000.... so be aware of that and rotate the driveshaft to see if it contacts the top. screen shot attached with a red arrow to the area I had to cut and grind down.

You are comparing different type of adjusters. Atleast the links you show. They both have the inner adjuster for camber and outer for toe but IE is what they call posi-lock and CA is eccentric.

I'm interested about your drive shaft. You say cut from S2000. Does that mean one piece S2000 shaft with rear joint from BMW? Something else? Just want to see all options someone has done because I'm also on my way installing F20C to my racecar.

• Like 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

20 hours ago, bianchini said:

Like Tommy said, they're opposite, if you check the CA adjusters, they have the bolt slots rotated 90 degrees compared to what IE does.

https://catuned.com/catuned-toe-kit-camber

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

9 hours ago, Tommy said:

You are comparing different type of adjusters. Atleast the links you show. They both have the inner adjuster for camber and outer for toe but IE is what they call posi-lock and CA is eccentric.

I'm interested about your drive shaft. You say cut from S2000. Does that mean one piece S2000 shaft with rear joint from BMW? Something else? Just want to see all options someone has done because I'm also on my way installing F20C to my racecar.

correct. I took the s2000 drive shaft and a rear joint for the e30 diff and had a local drive shaft shop combine the two. I think total length was around 48. If I somehow get it on a lift this weekend, I'll snap a pic for reference.  

2 hours ago, xr4tic said:

Like Tommy said, they're opposite, if you check the CA adjusters, they have the bolt slots rotated 90 degrees compared to what IE does.

https://catuned.com/catuned-toe-kit-camber

ok, I understand they are different adjusters, but from what I've been told and adjusting camber, they really should be the vertical IE ones. that gives more adjustment options. 

45 minutes ago, bianchini said:

correct. I took the s2000 drive shaft and a rear joint for the e30 diff and had a local drive shaft shop combine the two. I think total length was around 48. If I somehow get it on a lift this weekend, I'll snap a pic for reference.  

This is interesting. I tried to PM you to not mess Niczip's topic more but for some reason I couldn't.

Often one piece shafts have vibration issues. I'm interested the length, construction and your differential ratio and that how fast you've driven it.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:31 AM, Dudeland said:

First get a 2002 underground rear suspension setup.  You will thank me when you aren't in the trees after you hit the 400 HP mark,  or 300 for that matter.. or 250... 

First off, Thanks to all for the help....

Dudeland: I haven't run across this setup yet can you offer me some more details?

bianchini: What power level are you at? If you had to do it all again would you steer clear of the CA tuned setup? looking for my best "bolt in" option here. Or little fab work necessary.

RollCage- I will look into the Ronin auto works setup as well as the Kirk option. I fitted a 12 point "pre bent" jegster cage in a chevette last year and was pleasantly surprised with some modifications how tight it fit. ( Lots of tube notching though hahah)

Update:

This past weekend was able to go through the endless boxes of parts and was pleasantly surprised at all the parts i had that i though i was going to need to track down. With that said there is a lot of parts i have that i wont be using (mostly every interior piece) along with a few engine bay parts and odds and ends. Looks like whoever had it before me tore down the motor and put all the parts in a box. 

Yesterday i took delivery of the transmission i will be using for the car an AISIN AR5 after initial fit-up looks like firewall and tunnel will both need some modification.   

BMW 2002 _2.jpg

1 hour ago, Niczip said:

bianchini: What power level are you at? If you had to do it all again would you steer clear of the CA tuned setup? looking for my best "bolt in" option here. Or little fab work necessary.

I'm at 195 to the wheels, so ~235-240 crank. This is on a 100% stock non turbo AP1. I'm debating going turbo, but its already scary enough with my current setup. 

I like the CA-tuned rear sub, but once I got it in and got to nit picking it, I am definitely going to drop it and do different camber/caster adjusters and fix the top of the diff holder. they did all the leg work to make it a purchasable item, so I appreciate that. I have OCD and so i want to keep tweaking everything. 

Also, for the trans tunnel, id suggest cutting out more than you think you need to. I cut out too little and now have to go cut more to make sure I don't have rubbing issues.