• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tech tip for gluing trunk weatherstripping

Mike Self

I noticed the weatherstrip on my '73's trunk had come loose in one corner, despite generous applications of black weatherstrip cement.  Anyone who's tried to glue new (or even used) weatherstrip in place knows how difficult it is to hold the corners in place while the glue dries.  The weapons of choice are lots of clothespins, but they don't press down on the base of the weatherstrip where it's glued to the horizontal lip around the trunk opening.  As I was trying to keep the rubber from popping loose as fast as I glued it. I glanced over at my wife's garden toolbox and noticed these:  

image.png.69cb0aaf4dff2776f0c3c8792915b993.png

They're plant clips, used to hold vines to trellises, tomato plants to their stakes or cages etc.  The first one in the picture is open, showing how the jaws work.  The useful thing for the trunk weatherstrip is that their jaws curve over the weatherstrip lip and apply pressure to the gasket's base, where it's glued to the trunk opening lip.  And they'e cheap:  the pictured set of 20 is on sale for $2.00 here:

https://www.hollar.com/products/garden-plant-clips-set-of-20?utm_source=bing_pla&utm_campaign=Hollar - Shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=4582489589949910&utm_term=699872&htm_tid=sem&msclkid=fa322839b88612d97d19750a29866bdb

I suspect this would also be useful for gluing headliners and other gaskets requiring pressure to a gasket or weatherstrip with a protruding lip where a clothespin won't work properly.

cheers

mike

Edited by mike
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 hours ago, OriginalOwner said:

I use contact cement.  You apply a coat to each surface and let each air dry for 20 minutes or so.  When assembled, the "stick" is immediate and done.

Cheers,

Carl

I think this is how every professional has done it since the invention of “contact cement “

i think the poster has a misunderstanding about dry time with other glues 

• Like 1

Gentlemen, I did use contact cement, and despite its claims, the rubber's elasticity on those trunk corners exceeds the contact cement's stickiness unless it's given time to set up...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I had to do the same in both corners and used 3M Super Weather Strip (#03602) with good success. The hardest problem was scraping off all of the old adhesive on both the body and rubber seal surfaces to get clean smooth surfaces to work with. Other than following instructions, I did use masking tape to secure the seal in place until the cement was fully set. The corners haven’t lifted since. 

For the plant clips. 

There are two sizes. Which size worked the best? 

Any estimate on how many clips are needed?

For the Binder clips: (as per irdave): Which size and how many?

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

• 4 years later...
On 7/21/2019 at 12:26 PM, Mike Self said:

I noticed the weatherstrip on my '73's trunk had come loose in one corner, despite generous applications of black weatherstrip cement.  Anyone who's tried to glue new (or even used) weatherstrip in place knows how difficult it is to hold the corners in place while the glue dries.  The weapons of choice are lots of clothespins, but they don't press down on the base of the weatherstrip where it's glued to the horizontal lip around the trunk opening.  As I was trying to keep the rubber from popping loose as fast as I glued it. I glanced over at my wife's garden toolbox and noticed these:  

image.png.69cb0aaf4dff2776f0c3c8792915b993.png

They're plant clips, used to hold vines to trellises, tomato plants to their stakes or cages etc.  The first one in the picture is open, showing how the jaws work.  The useful thing for the trunk weatherstrip is that their jaws curve over the weatherstrip lip and apply pressure to the gasket's base, where it's glued to the trunk opening lip.  And they'e cheap:  the pictured set of 20 is on sale for $2.00 here:

https://www.hollar.com/products/garden-plant-clips-set-of-20?utm_source=bing_pla&utm_campaign=Hollar - Shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=4582489589949910&utm_term=699872&htm_tid=sem&msclkid=fa322839b88612d97d19750a29866bdb

I suspect this would also be useful for gluing headliners and other gaskets requiring pressure to a gasket or weatherstrip with a protruding lip where a clothespin won't work properly.

cheers

mike

Bought them on Amazon. Perfect solution. Thanks, Mike!

The clothes pins worked well for my trunk seal, but I ordered 2 sets of these for my headliner.

Mark92131

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Amazon.com : 40 PCS Garden Clips, Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Greenhouse Clamps, Greenhouse Clips for Netting, Have a Strong Grip to Hold Down The Shade Cloth or Plant Cover on Garden Hoops or Greenhouse Hoops : Patio, Lawn & Garden

IMG_3328.JPG

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)