• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Solex PHH 40 vintage photo

23 minutes ago, uai said:

Norbert is well known in the scene.

You can see his approach to stuff in his restoration thread here 
http://www.genesis-it.de/BMW/

Impressive! (no restored PHH’s shown until Part Eight)

Thanks for posting the link,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

Impressive! (no restored PHH’s shown until Part Eight)

Thanks for posting the link,

Steve

His carb stuff is on his carb website (see nicks link)

@mccusername this thread is old. Do you already have some refurbished carbs? 
I have these Gasket sets lying around in case you'd still need sth. And about 30 kg of core Solex carbs

IMG_7657.JPG

Edited by uai

• 2 weeks later...

As far as rebuilding, the most critical components on the carbs are the throttle shafts which wear and leak air. There is an e-bay vendor in Italy who sells just about all the parts for these carbs, including new oversize throttle shafts. It's a lot easier for the rebuilder to install these vs. installing bushings. All the gaskets etc are available.

The Solex PHH carbs all differ between the various BMW models, 1800ti, 1600ti and 2002 ti. The 1800ti versions are older and have very short emulsion tubes, if you can even call them that. If you have a 1600ti, I would advise you to start with 1600ti specific PHH 40s and get them rebuilt. If you had them rebuilt and they were just sitting, all they need is a good cleaning and maybe some new gaskets. And, if this is the case, this shouldn't cost much.

Back in 1983 I got my set of 1800ti carbs hot tanked. The bodies of the carbs came out with a hint of green tint. The air horns or trumpets polish well, but the 02 specific trumpets are angled. And, some appear to have a rougher finish.

On several occasions I've recounted how I obtained those carbs in Hollywood from a guy who had three 1800tis sitting in his driveway. You entered his bungalow by using one of the cars as a step. He sold me the carbs for $100 or so, air canister included along with linkage and manifolds. And, he threw in one of the 1800ti's for FREE. He had cannibalized the head from it, otherwise it was complete with an excellent interior in Red & Black. I just grabbed those front seats and left the car on the street as I didn't have the resources to get it towed back to Burbank. I was just 17 years old. When I got home I realized the NK seats were too wide for my 1600. So, I gave them away to my friend who was getting his Olds Cutlass back on the road. He installed them in that red Olds Cutlass and eventually destroyed them. In short time he parked that Cutlass, as it drank a lot of fuel, and purchased a solid 1963 Porsche 356 B model for $2,500, which he used as daily transportation to college. After taking turns commuting my friend realized my 1600 was much more practical than his 356. By 1986 he found a solid 1971 2002 for $1,400 and used that car as his daily driver for the next 10 years.

1800tis were dirt cheap and sometimes FREE. I also came across a few 1600tis. One was being sold, minus the motor, for $300. And, the body was solid. There was one up for sale in Glendale, CA about 15 years ago. The guy was asking $8K for it, but he had cannibalized the door cards and replaced them with ones from a later square model car. He had also taken off the rear bumper and replaced it with a US federalized style from 68. He was cannibalizing parts from the 1600ti for his Cabriolet restoration.  The car drove well, though. I test drove it. It still had the original motor and carbs.

• Like 2

That Red and black interior in that faded Polaris 1800ti, in very good shape with no tears looked really good. I often wonder what happened to that car.

During the late 90s a lot of us were hanging around and living in the industrial warehouse Arts District of Downtown Los Angeles. In those days you can rent a large 5,000 sq. ft. space with 5 toilet stalls for $900 / month. There were a lot of people living there. artists, musicians, bohemians, strippers, starving aspiring screenwriters and actors etc. The area has undergone gentrification and all of those warehouses have been subdivided and converted into small, but expensive Yuppie "Loft" dwellings. Magnus Walker moved into one of the larger spaces with his Porsche collection and started to sell heaps of rust for $60K + , what a joke !  Anyways, getting back on track; People used the area as a makeshift dump. Among the abandoned items was a clean Alpine White 1800ti. It was complete, but it sat there for weeks, untouched. It was outfitted with Webers, which one of my friends removed. The car met an ignominious end as the city towed it away to some salvage yard where it was most likely crushed.  It had sat between buildings near an artery  to the main line of railroad tracks running down Alameda St.  The track of the my 1600 with  205/60 x 13 tires matched the width of the tracks. And, I would drive it along the tracks at 50mph + in the dark of night down the long paved section of Alameda. They've paved over those track about 15-20 years ago. I thought about grabbing that 1800ti, but what would it have taken to register it, if possible.

This is the area along with vestiges of the tracks. Imagine that 1800ti just sitting there near the tracks between the buildings. Locomotives with a couple of cars would crawl along the tracks , like lumbering leviathans, in the middle of the morning. You had to be careful not to collide with them, especially in the dark of night after a raucous loft party. I had a couple of close calls in my 1600.

Well, I've gone on a tangent "Off Track" like so many other times.

mainlogo.gif?height=628&pad_color=fff&v=
DPDPRODUCTIONS.COM

On the East side of downtown Los Angles, there once was an area known to Southern Pacific RR crews as "The Rat Hole". This area was a maze of tracks that led to dozens of door to door businesses that the railroad served. To reach those businesses, many tracks twisted and...

Edited by Milo