• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SACRAMENTO/ SF Bay folks work/storage opportunity

conkitchen

Bare with me as I float this proposition to local hobbyists.  NOT making this a business exactly, but something underground and word of mouth. 

I am on the verge of converting my warehouse space (located in Sac) into a community storage and workshop for a limited few. Likely able to accommodate 10 people to start and I would be selective of who and what is being brought to the location. 

What I am thinking is both  indoor & outdoor storage plus indoor with space to work. Power provided but no lifts or air-but given how it goes-maybe. 

Of course I would have a liability agreement drafted up so when you kill/dismember yourself or set fire to the place I can sue you into poverty.  

All jokes aside, I know there is a pent up need for a limited work/storage space without hassles for the casual motorhead. 

Would have to place reasonable limits on the amount of work done and the availability of the space. 

Would like to open this discourse up as a white-board discussion so I can make this happen for the few who really want it.  

Thoughts on pricing, length of stay access, etc... ALL input welcome, except from Ray cause he thinks I'm half BS. 

Edited by conkitchen
  • Haha 1

But what do I know

I think if you set it up as a club you'll find it easier to protect your self from liability etc, I don't know about Cali but in Washington it can be done that way.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Private for sure, calling it a club, is that semantics? 

That's really the first and biggest issue is liability.  

Perhaps no under the car work allowed until I get to know you and your mechanical aptitude. 

Maybe a clause stating only bench top and no jacking or jack stands.  

But what do I know

2 hours ago, conkitchen said:

Private for sure, calling it a club, is that semantics? 

That's really the first and biggest issue is liability.  

Perhaps no under the car work allowed until I get to know you and your mechanical aptitude. 

Maybe a clause stating only bench top and no jacking or jack stands.  

In most places (other than the US) a simple disclaimer and making them bring all their own tools / jacks / stands etc would do. Your duty of care would extend only to the building (and electrical supply) at most. What they do in it would be up to them (within limits set by yourself).

Speak to a a lawyer but it definitely doesn’t have to be heavy or particularly restrictive for the ‘members’. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

57 minutes ago, \\\Mink said:

I don't need the workspace but I might be interested in coming by and drinking beer and spectating.  ?

Throwing alcohol in the mix might be equal to throwing gas on a fire in this scenario. 

Let's see how it goes. There is a beer garden around the corner from the location. 

But what do I know

Definitely make sure that there’s no money exchanged by anyone for work they do. Period. If some guy is changing his neighbor’s oil in exchange for some beer, and something goes wrong, a whole different set of licensing/insurance/liability will apply. I wish you were in New York. I need some place to do exactly what you’re looking to do. With parking well north of $700/month per car, and relatives hassling me for leaving cars there, it’s a hassle. (Maybe a single guy living in the city doesn’t need so many cars. Nah, that can’t be it.)

Edited by Seth Horwitz

Here's a social car club concept in my town, place to hang out and drive other members car.  I have no idea what members pay, its pretty high priced location on Pacific Coast Highway blocks from the beach.  I can't imagine someone else borrowing my car and taking it for a spin no matter what is put in writing.

https://www.thegarage77.com/

18 hours ago, Seth Horwitz said:

Definitely make sure that there’s no money exchanged by anyone for work they do. Period. If some guy is changing his neighbor’s oil in exchange for some beer, and something goes wrong, a whole different set of licensing/insurance/liability will apply. I wish you were in New York. I need some place to do exactly what you’re looking to do. With parking well north of $700/month per car, and relatives hassling me for leaving cars there, it’s a hassle. (Maybe a single guy living in the city doesn’t need so many cars. Nah, that can’t be it.)

Maybe with the new congestion surcharge going into effect, the city might open up a little on parking. With $700 a month it's cheaper to ship me your car for the winter and have it shipped back. :-) 

But what do I know

29 minutes ago, conkitchen said:

Maybe with the new congestion surcharge going into effect, the city might open up a little on parking. With $700 a month it's cheaper to ship me your car for the winter and have it shipped back. ?

Haha. Don’t bet on it. Nobody drives to the city for fun, so the same number of cars (maybe less empty Ubers) will be driving around with the tax dollars mysteriously not doing anything to fix the subways. I’m about ready to move onto greener pastures. I’ve had about enough of the city. 

1 minute ago, Seth Horwitz said:

Haha. Don’t bet on it. Nobody drives to the city for fun, so the same number of cars (maybe less empty Ubers) will be driving around with the tax dollars mysteriously not doing anything to fix the subways. I’m about ready to move onto greener pastures. I’ve had about enough of the city. 

You oughta know by now 
Who needs a house out in Hackensack
Is that what you get with your money
It seems such a waste of time
If that's what it's all about
Mama if that's movin' up
Then I'm movin' out

• Haha 2

But what do I know