• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 02 Made in Portugal

I'm getting a real kick out of this long-lost thread!  I'm in Portugal and trying to learn about the BMW 1600s and others that were evidently built here.... this thread is GOLD!  Thank you for the information, if any of you is still into this stuff!  

6 hours ago, bpeckm said:

I'm getting a real kick out of this long-lost thread!  I'm in Portugal and trying to learn about the BMW 1600s and others that were evidently built here.... this thread is GOLD!  Thank you for the information, if any of you is still into this stuff!  

My Portuguese '71 2002 was just very recently imported, via the Netherlands, to the states. I learned from BMW while researching the VIN that the vast majority of these were delivered to Portugal as CKD kits (Completely Knocked Down) for assembly in PT (done in order to avoid import tariffs).

• Like 1

O==00==O

Doug

I also have a Portuguese built bmw 2002, 1974, Atlantic blue, virtually rust free

they do have a different VIN, and lots of other little things like glass, upholstery radiator etc

and for sale ;) in The Netherlands.

the Portuguese climate is very friendly for classic cars. With local bmw production a very good source for 02’s

• Like 1

Per @kugelfischer above, I am learning that there was, indeed, a "manufacturing facility" for BMW in Portugal.  It was specifically to assemble/build the CKD kits from Munich in the late '60s and early '70's (which, historically speaking, were the last years of the dictatorship, which ended in '74)... reportedly so that the cars could be sold bypassing the huge import duties at the time.  Coincidentally, even now Portugal has a VW assembly plant in Portugal.... who knew!  I've attached a picture of the s/n build-plate for one of the 1600's that I'm considering here.  I have a friend who has a 2002 here, I'm in Portugal, and I'm dying to get back to his garage to inspect the s/n on his car!

423147688_3636525933283982_8264544703510131288_n.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 2:07 PM, bpeckm said:

Per @kugelfischer above, I am learning that there was, indeed, a "manufacturing facility" for BMW in Portugal.  It was specifically to assemble/build the CKD kits from Munich in the late '60s and early '70's (which, historically speaking, were the last years of the dictatorship, which ended in '74)... reportedly so that the cars could be sold bypassing the huge import duties at the time.  Coincidentally, even now Portugal has a VW assembly plant in Portugal.... who knew!  I've attached a picture of the s/n build-plate for one of the 1600's that I'm considering here.  I have a friend who has a 2002 here, I'm in Portugal, and I'm dying to get back to his garage to inspect the s/n on his car!

423147688_3636525933283982_8264544703510131288_n.jpg

Interesting! VIN 1061683 was the last 'pre 71' 1600-2 assembled in 1970 (according to info I have gathered)

The Portuguese 'model 71' 1600-2 VINs started at 1085001 in 1971.

What colour is 1061683 (Chamonix, Nevada, Sahara?????)

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Thanks 02Les!  The late '70 makes sense, from what I can see of the pics.  It has the 6-fuse panel, short rear bumpers etc.  Looks to be in excellent condition, reportedly just had major rubber-bits and suspension bits re-done.  I have yet to see it in person, but pics make it look quite nice.  Cars here have no rust, a very pleasant surprise after living in New England and seeing how those cars were eaten away!  As to the color, not one I know the name of, I'll see if there is a color-name under the hood.  It is a color that looks lite-goldish or light green/gold depending on the light, from the photos.  Attached is a pic, maybe you can tell me?  

421592787_10220861537643169_7112342102909681007_n.jpg

421580791_10220861538763197_3506752952235976876_n.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bpeckm said:

As to the color, not one I know the name of, I'll see if there is a color-name under the hood.

Reseda Green?  Very pretty color, one of my favorites.  Not a 1600 color, but 320i, BMW 1500 and other models.

Mark92131

Reseda Green BMW 1502.jpg

Reseda Green.jpg

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

The light is kinda funny, but sure looks Nevada to me...and that would be a cataloged color in 70 and 71...whereas Reseda green came much later.

image.png.18c6fa1b49f569916061bf49c9890566.png

As I'm sure most of y'all know, 02s were also assembled (CKD) in Uruguay, Israel and the Netherlands, but in penny numbers.  I spotted one of the Uruguayan 02s in Montevideo but couldn't find the owner to ask him about it.  And I think all those assembled in Israel were 1802s.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

7 hours ago, bpeckm said:

7 hours ago, bpeckm said:

Thanks 02Les!  The late '70 makes sense, from what I can see of the pics.  It has the 6-fuse panel, short rear bumpers etc.  Looks to be in excellent condition, reportedly just had major rubber-bits and suspension bits re-done.  I have yet to see it in person, but pics make it look quite nice.  Cars here have no rust, a very pleasant surprise after living in New England and seeing how those cars were eaten away!  As to the color, not one I know the name of, I'll see if there is a color-name under the hood.  It is a color that looks lite-goldish or light green/gold depending on the light, from the photos.  Attached is a pic, maybe you can tell me?  

421580791_10220861538763197_3506752952235976876_n.jpg

Yes, what Mark said.......Reseda

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Update on this:  I sent an email (a couple, actually!) to Andreas Harz at BMW and received answers immediately (a totally-unexpected response from anyone who knows how Portugal treats emails...) regarding both the VIN question and color.  The first was to confirm that the VIN was indeed one of the CKD kits sent to Portugal for "assembly", with an additional note saying that unfortunately they really didn't have any more information.  I had been hoping for original factor specs as to options etc.  The, when I inquired as to whether the paint was applied in Germany prior to shipping, he again responded that he didn't really know, apologizing, but that presumably the CKD kits were sent pre-painted/pre-finished.  Interesting that there are no records of that, I'm going to see what else I can find out.  One thing that I have noticed, differing from US models, is that there do not seem to be the additional stickers noting the color.  I had been hoping that the original VIN would have an original color code, but again it's shrouded in the mysteries lost to time.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2024 at 8:25 AM, bpeckm said:

I am in Porto.

I will try to remember this. My wife and I will be visiting Portugal in early April. We will have a rental car.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 2 weeks later...

So, I finally got to see the car in person today.  It is definitely not a re-paint, the paint is consistent in every nook and cranny with no evidence whatsoever of a major re-paint.  It looks (to my admittedly un-trained eye!) to the be Reseda green mentioned.  The car has had absolutely no major body work, original dimpled-weld (?) construction at door bottoms, shock towers etc.  Per BMW in Germany they have no records of the CKD's other than S/N's:  not paint, options etc.  From what I can see, and in discussing with the present owner, the knee trim was an after-market (or dealer option) as there are no holes through the door panels for bolting it on.  I'm intrigued enough to keep pursuing this one.... present owner just re-did all suspension bushings, brake lines, fuel lines etc:  enough to keep it mechanically just-right, but it does need some cosmetic love.  

• Like 1