• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E10 engine rebuild

Hudo's 1st 02

Also depends on how much power you want and what parts it will take to get it there.  Go fastparts cost more.  Could be $2500-$15000.  

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

The engine is referred to as the "M10", rebuilds can run from 1k to 6k (or more) depending on what you define as "rebuilt".

There is a LOT of information in regards to engine building here on the FAQ if you search before posting.  If you would like a more tailored response, it would be nice to know more about you and your plans.  The more information you provide, the more suited the response.

6 minutes ago, Hudo's 1st 02 said:

Man that’s a lot o cash for a lil ol 4 banger. Looks like this poor ol boy will just wait till it blows up. Thank you all for the info, at least I know what I am up against. Should of just held on to my 77 Bronco. Parts and service was a lil more practical .

D2E43718-D8F2-40C0-BCEA-C8439CB43101.jpeg

Nice Bronco. Do you know what the mileage on your current 2002's motor is? They're pretty durable, I'll let other more knowledgeable forum members weigh in but I believe we have somebody here has 225,000 on a rebuilt motor (so probably close to 400,000 on the core!). 

2 minutes ago, Hudo's 1st 02 said:

The speedo reads 82,000 plus. I find that hard to believe seeing how it turns over @ 100,000 ya know. To be honest, I’ve driven it around town and it seems to be strong running with no issues at the moment. Haven’t had it on the highway yet. I took a gamble and bought it sight  un seen out of Colorado for 9,500. 

35F71B3B-CAEF-4B96-AABC-1DAB4F6494FC.jpeg

Nice. Was the seller, by chance, a middle eastern guy with a used car dealership? If so I'm pretty sure I almost bought that same car! 

3 minutes ago, Hudo's 1st 02 said:

Yes ! Sam was the name they gave me. Why didn’t you? Just curious....

He was asking a lot more than $9500 when I saw it and it was not a good value at that price, IMO. For $9500 it's a damn good buy, though. It had some minor issues that were fixable but I wanted a more turnkey car. Also I preferred a slicktop for simplicity's sake. As for your motor, give him a call, I believe Sam said that engine was at least partially rebuilt already when I spoke with him. 

Edited by Sahara

1 minute ago, Hans said:

Which brings me back to my question: why do you think it needs to be rebuilt?

Nothing at this time. I bought it about 2 months ago. It runs good, strong as far as I can tell. It shows 82,000 miles but that can’t be accurate. Obviously you know the mileage turns over after 100,000, and given it age I figured I’d try and get and idea of what it would cost. 

2 hours ago, Hudo's 1st 02 said:

Nothing at this time. I bought it about 2 months ago. It runs good, strong as far as I can tell. It shows 82,000 miles but that can’t be accurate.

You can usually tell by other methods whether the odometer is 82k or 182k.  Look at the pedal pads; they're remarkably long lived, and shouldn't show much wear at 82k.  How's the clutch?  On a squarelight like yours, the clutch is good for 100-125k miles, depending on the driver. If it's 82k, it may well be original; at 182k I'm sure it won't be.  Check all around the car for old oil change stickers, receipts in the glovebox, under the seats etc.  If it was previously titled in Colorado, the state DMV may be able to help.  Many states have archives that can provide previous owner's names etc.  And most states require an odometer statement from the seller that certifies the mileage is correct. 

I'd also do a compression and then a leakdown test to determine compression, then go on the FAQ archives and read up on determining engine condition--smoking on acceleration, smoking on deceleration (throttle closed), color of smoke emitted etc.  As was previously stated, unless horribly abused, M10 motors last a long time--my '69 has 226k on the original engine with nothing more than a valve job at 157k.  Still going strong, too.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite