• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Location of radiator drain tap?

backeis

Need to take out radiator in order to get to all the bolts on the Behr comoressor (which is coming out). Understand I should drain the radiator first as opposed to just disconnecting the hoses right away.

I read in the Haynes that there should be a drain tap somewhere (presumably at the bottom). I can't find it though.

Where should I look?

And while we're at it, where's the one for the engine block? Just in case I feel like draining that too to check for buildup...

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many 02's don't have a radiator drain plug if you do it's on the bottom tank usually on the drivers side if it's not there use a clean oil drain pan and slowly pull off the lower hose and catch as much as you can, the block drain is on the passengers side under the exhaust mani between cyl 3 and 4 after you pull the plug you may need to poke a screw driver into the hole to break up the sediment that builds up behind the plug.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Well the engine block one is a bit under exhaust port  3 or thereabouts. 

If you are not finding a drain plug on your radiator, guess what? ?

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

14 minutes ago, backeis said:

Any tricks on how to pull off a hose end that doesn't wanna budge?

Presume you've loosened the clamp and pulled it well beyond the bulge in the radiator nipple.  You have to be careful using brute force so that you don't pull the brass nipple loose from the lower radiator tank, so try this:  grab the hose--well beyond the end of the nipple--with a pair of arc-joint pliers and try carefully--and slowly--rotating the hose--like you were unscrewing it.  The rubber will wind up like a rubber band and hopefully exert enough torque on the bond between rubber and brass to make it let go.  

You might also carefully insert a lubricated L-shaped piece of metal (a bent coathanger piece or even a small allen wrench) between the end of the hose and the nipple and work it all the way around the joint.  That will loosen the bond for at least part of the contacting surfaces and make loosening the hose a little easier.  

If worst comes to worst, you may have to slit the hose to get it off.  When you reinstall the hose, lubricate the inside with some silicone grease so it'll come off easier the next time.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I've used a screwdriver on the edge to crack the seal, without wrecking the hose.   Usually I just wiggle it aggressively.  It eventually breaks free.  Gush!

I eventually modified my drain plug because I was tired of cleaning up coolant.  I hate that stuff. Next worst to transmission fluid for me.

DrainCock_sml.jpg.01499df993016ddc92e47849160f8ca2.jpg

Block drain under #4 exhaust port:
1983526773_ExhaustManifoldandBlock.thumb.jpg.54603eb340ff2297c6b6ecfc18bfc54e.jpg

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Here's another technique to get a rad hose off, especially if you can't get a twist on it:

push.

"What???" you say, "that's like pushing a rope??? Nice try, smokey guy!"  

Nope, get a wide screwdriver behind the lip of the hose, and don't pry

just pull.  Try it in several locations to break loose sections of the rubber.

When you pull on a hose, it contracts, like a finger trap.

When you push on it, it expands, and the point source of the

screwdriver helps break it loose, as well.

One more thing to try,

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

16 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

I eventually modified my drain plug because I was tired of cleaning up coolant.

If you saved your straight threaded drain plug, there have been people on here that were ready to give their right arm for the plug, because it's brass and a straight thread (as opposed the the tapered pipe thread that is on that petcock)

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

44 minutes ago, jimk said:

If you saved your straight threaded drain plug, there have been people on here that were ready to give their right arm for the plug, because it's brass and a straight thread (as opposed the the tapered pipe thread that is on that petcock)

Sold!  One! Hundred! Bucks!

Seriously, I didn't know that. Thanks.   I was blinded by the fact of the coolant jetting out of the radiator toward the oilpan and soaking everything in its path.   Or cracking the lower hose with the same effect.  It seems I drain my rad at least once a year for various reasons and no matter the preparations...I was always cleaning up coolant.  Not so much anymore.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Finished draining (engine included) and refilling the system. Quick question: is 5 quarts enough, or do I need put in more than that?

Quite a bit splashed around my catch pan when I drained it, so I can't go by that amount...

Edited by backeis