• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968-1973 STEERING WHEEL ID

Gearbox

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

An indented wheel with pleather rim sold today on eBay for $111.38.  Maybe this thread will tease out some examples of cars originally equipped with these wheels.  As I mentioned, the wheels are dated by year, so a 1971-dated wheel on a 1970 model car would clearly not be original.

Regards,

Steve

Yeah, that was me.  I had been looking for the correct plastic wheel for some time in good condition, but they all were either terribly cracked or missing horn buttons.  But it was the first time I saw the indented wheel and liked it, it looked like it had no cracks or damage, and it wasn't going for $500.  So, I took a shot and bought it.  Good to know that it belongs on a 70 or 71.  And wouldn't you know it, soon as I bought it, a listing came up on the German eBay site for a near perfect and correct wheel for my car.  Well almost correct, it has the chrome trim around the horn buttons, so I think it was from a Bavaria or 3.0CS or something.  But close enough and I bought that as well.  Now all I need is a 70 or 71 tii so I can use the other wheel lol.  The fun just never stops with these cars :D  BTW, where are these date stamps located?

001.jpg

Edited by Gearbox

1973 2002 tii Turkisblau

1976 2002 Polaris

Allan

There will be a tiny two-digit year, e.g., "71", somewhere on the hub area of the wheel itself.  I can't remember if it's on the back or front -- probably front.  I'll look to see if I have a photo of one on my wheels that shows the date.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

6 hours ago, Ensign said:

Even though BMW apparently had steering wheel supply problems, their intention was to use the 3-spoke wheel w/spoke horn buttons for the 2002 and 3-spoke wheel w/center horn pad for the 2002tii. This is described in the owner’s manual:

What year is this owner's manual?  Are you sure that manual isn't for a Euro car?  I've never seen a US spec roundie, tii or otherwise with the e-brake warning light--only 74-76s.  And I've also not seen any year US tii with both spokes and center horn pushes.  

The photos show a 3 lever heater (early '72) with apparently shiny backing plates.  The speedometer appears to be in KM, not miles (both Euro features) and the dash looks like a 3 piece dash, which is a pre-modell 71 feature.  I've never seen a tii with a three piece dash. Very confusing!

Anyone out there have a tii with both a center and three spoke horn buttons?

And..there was yet a couple more versions of the "bus wheel"--black plastic spokes (each with a horn push) like the stock wheels we have on US roundies, but with either leather or wood rims.  They were used on 2800 sedans and CS coupes, and fit very nicely on 2002s, as they're already drilled for the spring-loaded contact button as used on an '02.

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

38 minutes ago, mike said:

What year is this owner's manual?

I used the owner's manual that is available on this website that is dated late 1971, if I am reading it correctly. My owner's is with my car in storage, but it does read the same and I think it is dated '72 or '73.

43 minutes ago, mike said:

And I've also not seen any year US tii with both spokes and center horn pushes.  

I'm not sure if you are referring to what I said in my post, if so, I may have written it poorly. I was trying to say that the 2002 was intended to have a wheel with horn buttons on the 3 - spokes (only) and the tii was intended to have a wheel with a center horn pad (only). At least that is the way I read the owner's manual.

I apologize if my post was in error.

Regards,

Tony

• Like 1

Tony Garton

1972 2002tii

my 1674882 vin early 1970 car has the 3 metal indented spokes with pleather cover.

I had it recovered by stitchedwheels (Jordan G)

st wheel 2017.JPG

• Like 1

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

6 hours ago, mike said:

FYI, the three spoke, horn-pushes-in-the-spokes plain black plastic steering wheel on my '73 was a bit smaller in diameter than the otherwise identical steering wheel on my '69.  I can measure 'em if you'd like as both have been replaced with aftermarket wood-rim wheels and they're hanging in my basement.  

The otherwise identical wheels with silver-colored horn pushes were used on the senor sixes (25/2800/Bavaria/early coupes) as an "upmarket" version (more chrome).

mike

Mike,

I, for one, would certainly appreciate knowing the two diameters for the stock round taillight steering wheels!

Best regards,

Steve

I have a stupid amount of steering wheels, including this one dated 1968. I'm not sure if someone swapped the horn pad for a full moon one or if it came like that. I know the smooth horn pad can be pretty hard to come by. You see a lot of 2000ti wheels with the smooth pad missing. I also have the other style of horn pad in sub par shape.

Anyway it doesn't fit my car so it is open to offers. Of course this isn't a for sale ad... just sayin...

Overall looks pretty good. No cracks anywhere on the bakelite.

IMG_2962.jpg

Some scuffing on the front of the wheel. Not sure if it is from a wedding ring or poor storage.

IMG_2963.jpg

Dated 1968

IMG_2964.jpg

No cracks

IMG_2965.jpg

This is from my spare CSI sport wheel, which looks a lot like OP's wheel #2. It fits the wheel above, but is in poor shape. I can repair it, but I simply haven't.

IMG_2966.jpg

Edited by _Markos_

14 hours ago, bmw_e30 said:

i want to buy an original 1970-71 steering wheel in great to like new condition....

I'm not certain I'd even refer to the sport wheel as a "1970-71 steering wheel" because I suspect they represent a minority of the steering wheels fitted by the factory to 1970 models and, certainly, a tiny minority of 1971 models.  As to condition, I've seen dozens of these wheels and only noted two conditions:  well-worn, and re-covered (jdt10768's wheel, above)!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

15 minutes ago, _Markos_ said:

I have a stupid amount of steering wheels, including this one dated 1968. I'm not sure if someone swapped the horn pad for a full moon one or if it came like that. I know the smooth horn pad can be pretty hard to come by. You see a lot of 2000ti wheels with the smooth pad missing. I also have the other style of horn pad in sub par shape.

Anyway it doesn't fit my car so it is open to offers. Of course this isn't a for sale ad... just sayin...

Overall looks pretty good. No cracks anywhere on the bakelite.

IMG_2962.jpg

Some scuffing on the front of the wheel. Not sure if it is from a wedding ring or poor storage.

IMG_2963.jpg

Dated 1968

IMG_2964.jpg

No cracks

IMG_2965.jpg

This is from my spare CSI sport wheel, which looks a lot like OP's wheel #2. It fits the wheel above, but is in poor shape. I can repair it, but I simply haven't.

IMG_2966.jpg

The smooth horn pad was a feature of 1968 steering wheels. Rare because one-year-only!

Below, images, respectively, from March, April, and May 1968 factory brochures...

Regards,

Steve

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_9984.JPG

IMG_2726.JPG

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

Look up in the parts books to find that the diameters of the early wheels are 423 mm, the later 400 mm, 380 mm, and 350 mm.

See section 32/12, 32/13,14,15 for all your variant pleasures.

fun fact: the wheels that had a small metal piece for the spoke at the rim...that piece was a part! But not for the U.S.

Collect a full set!

• Like 1