• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Viscosity

diondion

Only the good stuff. A check from my M10 at 10k miles on the oil.  i had a legit lab test on the last change from the S14 at 10K and lots of oil life left.  Why generate all that used oil, wasted filters, worn out drain plugs, and wasted time.

Lubesafe BMW Oil Check 10K.JPG

• Like 3

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

6 hours ago, 2002Scoob said:

Ahh. The good ol' oil debate :) 

Jr, which Castrol were you using? I've been on the Castrol Classic 20w50 train for a while and seems to be just dandy. 

Castrol Classic?  What is this witchcraft you speak of???   Lemme look into that.  I was using plain old white bottle Castrol GTX 20/50.  It’ll be good to have another oil choice with zddp in it. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

20 minutes ago, jrhone said:

Castrol Classic?  What is this witchcraft you speak of???   Lemme look into that.  I was using plain old white bottle Castrol GTX 20/50.  It’ll be good to have another oil choice with zddp in it. 

I order mine and Mahle filters direct from Amazon, and I love the vintage 5l tin cans it comes in! 

1 hour ago, '76mintgrun'02 said:

yeah, and throw away the cap, rotor, points and condenser, while you are at it. 

I took your advice and they have been gone for quite a while.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I am changing oil for my '73 2002 til - recommended oil viscosity; good oil brand out there?  Thanks
Where you live affects oil selection. Hotter climates need higher viscosity, but I always use a 50 weight oil in summer. Years ago a BMW mechanic recommended 20w50 for my e24. It is also the weight recommended in the manual. I went with his advice and have been very happy with the results. Good viscosity in hot climates and great film strength. During the winter I switch to a lower temp oil. I have used Mobil 1 20w50 in the summer (southwestern US, very very hot and dusty) in my e30 for 20 + years. The engine has over 300k miles and drives like a champ. I also do not baby my cars. I drive them hard and, as far as internals go, the straight engines love high viscosity oil.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, mataku527 said:

I have been just using Mobil 1.  Anyone got a recommendation for zinc additive to put in?

Which mobil 1?  The synthetic 15w-50 has as much zinc as the Valvoline VR1 20w-50. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

1 hour ago, 2002Scoob said:

Intresting enough, here in Europe the only Mobil 1 15w50 (and often times 20w50) is almost always marketed as a 4-stroke motorcycle oil.... Finding 20w50 labeled as normal car oil is nary impossible.

Yeah, here they don't make a car 2w-50 oil.  They make a motorcycle 20w-50 oil.  The 15w-50 is just their plain old oil, yes because its 15w-50, and most modern cars are using 0w-xx they added more zinc to it.  Here is their chart which shows the zinc levels...VR-1 is 1300 if I am correct.  They make racing oils that are higher but those are not good for street cars for various reasons.

5ace51abc137f_ScreenShot2018-04-11at11_17_54AM.thumb.png.bd6c5d8c6dd0ae3b9bdd9e02c1a89d10.png

• Like 1

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

On 9-4-2018 at 8:09 PM, 02Les said:

You should have one of these under the hood.

DSCN3024sm.thumb.JPG.0cf5873426bcfcaf1cf0e8c303b821d7.JPG

Over, under, plus, minus, Celsius, Fahrenheit, it's all the same anyway. Just make up your own hood sticker any way you like it :-p

"Spätestens nach 6 Monaten throughout the year ?"