• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M10 block, modified.

kbmb02

he’s not old

feeling it, recently...

ha- they've bobbed the bob- weights.

Err, bobbed the counterweights.  I wonder if the bob- weights got left on the counter...

Lighter is lighter, and if you have a saw, as the old saw goes, everything looks like it could benefit from a bit of trimming...

I have always wondered if the energy 'gained' from lightening a crank was then absorbed by the extra vibration and flex in the engine...

As to oil foaming, that happens no matter what you do, and good return flow management seems to help the most,

if you can't dry- sump it.

I don't get the straps, either- they have to be pretty incompressible, or the bolt heads would sink, with the attendant loss of crankcase oil containment...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

I have always wondered if the energy 'gained' from lightening a crank was then absorbed by the extra vibration and flex in the engine...

I don't get the straps, either- they have to be pretty incompressible, or the bolt heads would sink, with the attendant loss of crankcase oil containment...

In my view, lightened internals = quicker to spin-up, to get out of the corners quicker and, generally, more throttle control. Seems to be that lighter pistons on the other end helps balance what’s been removed from the crankshaft.

This racer ran M10’s in an open sprint car roundie-round series; there are some dry sump parts in the boxes, I don’t plan on using them.

Re, saddle straps - yeah, curious about those. I wonder if they did anything similar in the high HP F1 M10’s. -KB

It looks like BMW used stock based main caps on the F1 engine so I wonder what problem this guy was out to fix with the straps. The other thing that stands out about the F1 engine built video is the cylinder bores are polished with no sign of crosshatching that I could see  maybe they were running plain cast iron rings? not much for longevity but its only got to last 1 race.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

He must have read David Vizard’s BMC A series book. Knife edging and steel centre strap was common treatment there (for an engine with a long stroke crank and only 3 main bearings and, well, not a BMW M10). 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Re saddle straps maybe for storage, transport?  dont see what purpose they would serve.  note number 1 and 4 straps would appear to be struck by counterweight if crank rotated.

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

5 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

That maybe the camera angle, they might be there to "wipe the oil vapor" from the counterweights in conjunction with a windage tray.

I haven’t pulled that blocks out of the shipping box yet; just flipped it over, spun the crank (very smooth) and snapped a photo. Looking forward to getting on an engine stand, will report.

49 minutes ago, Pigpen said:

Nice Kenny!

I just scored an original 1500 block in a junk yard, been sitting in the car for 25 years. Pulled it and now “seasoning” it to build a Race motor...

It will get its 15 minutes of fame!

I’ve got a few 1600’s, have not had my hands on a 1500; same crank, smaller bore?

In my view, lightened internals = quicker to spin-up, to get out of the corners quicker and, generally, more throttle control.

...and far faster shifting, rev- matching, etc.  I certainly like DRIVING them better.  I have always wondered if there were attendant

lap- time reductions beyond 'the driver's happier', especially if you drive the unlightened engine correctly

(clutch dumps, etc, to recover the inertial energy, and so forth.)

Yes, (before everyone starts in) I get the theory.  Having driven both, I am not sure how much of it carries onto the timing sheets.

In for more pix!!!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL