• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Smashed rear passenger window - help finding replacement glass?

kbanjo

Woke up to a smashed window today (car was parked in front of our house on the street). Its the rear passenger window (quarter panel?). 

So far Pilkington Classics couldn't help, and Glass Seekers is supposed to call me back. Any other sources out there? 

Luckily insurance is covering it in full.

Thanks everyone!

Unless you have an early car (68-sometime in 1970) with clear glass, you should be able to get it from BMW.  I sourced a driver's door window from BMW several years ago when the glass simply shattered--all by itself--while parked in my driveway--in broad daylight.  Tempered glass is funny stuff--it sometimes just shatters for no reason.  

Anyway, if you have comprehensive insurance--even with deductible it's often waived on glass breakage.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have spares, where do you live?

5 hours ago, kbanjo said:

Woke up to a smashed window today (car was parked in front of our house on the street). Its the rear passenger window (quarter panel?). 

So far Pilkington Classics couldn't help, and Glass Seekers is supposed to call me back. Any other sources out there? 

Luckily insurance is covering it in full.

Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

Max-

73' BMW 2002

Member # 2329

3 hours ago, mike said:

Unless you have an early car (68-sometime in 1970) with clear glass, you should be able to get it from BMW.  I sourced a driver's door window from BMW several years ago when the glass simply shattered--all by itself--while parked in my driveway--in broad daylight.  Tempered glass is funny stuff--it sometimes just shatters for no reason.  

Anyway, if you have comprehensive insurance--even with deductible it's often waived on glass breakage.

mike

You know, I wonder if that's what happened to mine? It seems awfully weird for someone to smash in that window for no reason - there was no evidence of someone going through the car. Also - the door was unlocked!

Insurance should be covering it, but I am supposed to wait for a phone call before I buy a replacement part to confirm they will reimburse me for it. Something about them needing to confirm where it's being sourced?

Glass Seekers found one for $325 (including packaging/shipping) which seems pretty fair. 

5 minutes ago, kbanjo said:

Glass Seekers found one for $325 (including packaging/shipping) which seems pretty fair. 

Seems about 3x too high to me, but I don't need one today.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Go to realoem.com and look up the part number.  For example a 73 green tint window is 51361803708.  Then go to your favorite online BMW discounting parts dealer. e.g., getbmwparts.com and go to the parts page.  Enter the part number in the part number search box and see if it is available and the current price.

For this example, it looks like it is available at a list price of $126.05, and is discounted to about $100.      Your local dealer can probably get one for you in less than a week (but at the list price or higher). 

But really, they are readily available used.  Call your favorite 2002 used parts emporium and get a price.

Harold

where are you located?

i have a pile of glass!!

i am in philadelphia pa.

the glass is $25 and the install

is $50 and hour, should take

30 minutes. i can shipp too.

probably cost more to ship,

then the glass cost.

we all really need to know where.

stone02

stone racing co

phila pa 19123

If you can buy used. There is a seller of lots of 02 parts in Enumclaw on Craigslist. Not sure, but he may have some glass. 

If you can deal with shipping, I have bought from Stone 02 in the past. Good guy

If you want to travel to Oregon, I may find some sources for you. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me.