• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new scruffy 1602

ratty1602

Well I've always wanted one of these and have been looking for one that could be the next project/wrenching car since moving to CA.

She followed me home today... by which I mean a flatbed dropped her off. 1970 1600-02, e21 head, IE manifold with dual Weber 45s. The base is there for a fun driver once you look past the crappy dual-tone primer "paint job," surface rust, and shall we say.... heavy patina.  Lots of projects ahead. Good news is that it runs! Poorly. And soon will drive again, once I reconnect the shifter plate to the transmission and can select a gear. 

2u4pyeg.gif

• Like 2

Way to go for saving another one.  And since '02s outsold 1600's in the US 7 1/2 to one, it's definintely worth saving.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Well I've always wanted one of these and have been looking for one that could be the next project/wrenching car since moving to CA.

She followed me home today... by which I mean a flatbed dropped her off. 1970 1600-02, e21 head, IE manifold with dual Weber 45s. The base is there for a fun driver once you look past the crappy dual-tone primer "paint job," surface rust, and shall we say.... heavy patina.  Lots of projects ahead. Good news is that it runs! Poorly. And soon will drive again, once I reconnect the shifter plate to the transmission and can select a gear. 

2u4pyeg.gif&key=951132f063fc43689914fe34501bd0363cba362df53c2b0750d2a73822277524
Like the wheels[emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2002cool2

Carl, I'm up in NELA - Eagle Rock specifically. 

Progress so far is trying to lift it (working in the street) to put it on stands resulted in noticing that my old trusty HF jack no longer holds and so after jacking up the front I gave up for the day. I may push it into the garage to work on a more level surface come next weekend...  

First, if anyone knows the mysteries of the old school 1600-02 pedal box, I have many questions.  The clutch pedal falls forward, and lays on the floor. The mechanical linkage actually engages the clutch once you depress the pedal, but when you let it go the crescent shaped thing attached to the top of the pedal box via a spring (which looks not original) just pulls the pedal forward and it falls to the floor....   I rigged the spring to the pedal so that it would stay upright, not that I can select a gear just yet. 

Second, does anyone know of a place that knows how to work on these in the Northeast LA area? (Glendale, Pasadena, NELA, etc would work) I'm specifically looking I think to have someone tune it, sync the carbs, check timing, etc. 

fnfqyf.jpg

Congrats and welcome to the madness!!   Not in California so I don't know how far you are from where Le Tran's 2002 Garage Werks shop is.  Would be a solid choice to take it for the things you mentioned wanting done.

2002garagewerks.com 

"To my way of thinking, the 2002 is one of modern civilization's all-time best ways to get somewhere sitting down. - Car and Driver Magazine April,1968 

Love the patina level of this thing :) and the wheels are perfect! I wish Germany would let me have rusty things.

I vote deal with doing as much investigation mechanically as you can on your own, then dialing in anything structural.

Allot of the work you mention can be done on your own with a few tools and a proper timing light. Would likely be worth getting under it and check for signs of leaks. The clutch issue you describe could a result of one, and you've got air in the lines if your clutch isn't returning. If it's been sitting it's worth flushing and bleeding both the clutch and brake system, too.

Fun project!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, 2002Scoob said:

Love the patina level of this thing :) and the wheels are perfect! I wish Germany would let me have rusty things.

I vote deal with doing as much investigation mechanically as you can on your own, then dialing in anything structural.

Allot of the work you mention can be done on your own with a few tools and a proper timing light. Would likely be worth getting under it and check for signs of leaks. The clutch issue you describe could a result of one, and you've got air in the lines if your clutch isn't returning. If it's been sitting it's worth flushing and bleeding both the clutch and brake system, too.

Fun project!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leaks? Everything. More 'seepage' than leak, the oil pan is covered in crud. Nothing leaking enough to warranty concern yet, but I haven't really been driving it.  

As to the clutch, actually this is the 1600 early mechanical clutch linkage, no air in the lines because there are no lines. There is a spring near the clutch fork that I have to see whether it is still there, it may aid in the return of the pedal. I intend to source a pedal box rebuild kit locally along with a bunch of other goodies and tackle the whole box rebuild. I think everything is just very very tired. 

Rust has perforated the left rear outer rocker panel, the right lower door edge, and the rear tow hook wants to depart as well. Perfect time to learn welding!

• Like 1