• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3d Printing interior/exterior bits?

sten_mitchell

18 hours ago, BrunoMozi said:

So to me a plastic early model grill makes more sense coz itl probably not bend or dent and itl be black.

You are allowed your own design ideas.  This is a democracy after all ?.

As a 3D modeler, I can tell you that the labor to create the model for printing would cost a heap.  Add the printing time to create the large part and all of a sudden the OEM price is not so bad.  Plus the quality of the printing will be substandard unless you go to the highest quality machine and plastic media.  Ca-ching!

73 Inka Tii #2762958

3 hours ago, D.martijn said:

One could also 3D print a die instead of interior/exterior parts ?

I changed the design so I can center the steel sheet before pressing - it's currently printing as I'm writing this.

But I'm pretty pleased on how this piece turned out!

Similar stuff being made in Germany @ e9forum
http://www.e9-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28271

• Like 1

Howabout the heater control valve??

These look like they would be a fairly easy build.  And, they are hard and expensive to get and tricky/messy to substitute.

This FAQ shows the valve body and insert nicely.

• Like 1

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

14 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

You are allowed your own design ideas.  This is a democracy after all ?.

As a 3D modeler, I can tell you that the labor to create the model for printing would cost a heap.  Add the printing time to create the large part and all of a sudden the OEM price is not so bad.  Plus the quality of the printing will be substandard unless you go to the highest quality machine and plastic media.  Ca-ching!

Ok sorry for my ignorance, but dont u guys have like scanners for that? Like couldnt u just scan an original alluminium grill and printit out in plastic on a machine? Maybe on an sls printer even? 

23 minutes ago, BrunoMozi said:

Ok sorry for my ignorance, but dont u guys have like scanners for that? Like couldnt u just scan an original alluminium grill and printit out in plastic on a machine? Maybe on an sls printer even? 

We're looking into purchasing a scanner at work that can go up to 0.003mm. as you can imagine, the file size will be huge. After scanning you will still need to clean up the model to make it more "usable"

1 hour ago, BrunoMozi said:

Yes, as mentioned 3D scanning is already being used in automotive applications to either prototype designs or remanufacture obsolete parts. The challenge is that even the cheap end of those type of high end 3D scanners cost $Ks and then the skill and software to clean up and make ready for 3D printing is considerable.  

It would be possible to scan or 3D model and print a centre grille for an 02 at home on a desk top printer but apart from the 3D print, the amount of post prep work involved and paint application to reproduce the silver 'Aluminium' frame effect would be a challenge. But it could be done, and only on close inspection would the '3D printed' surface finish aspect of the part be visible.  

I've 3D printer loads of trim, clips, model badges, centre console parts for my car and all are performing well and the aesthetic quality is perfectly acceptable.

3D printing technology will only grow from strength to strength in all industries but particularly as parts for classic cars become more difficult to source the opportunities are massive.

Edited by 2002FjordBaur

10 hours ago, BrunoMozi said:

Go right ahead bud.  Buy a scanner, buy a printer, and knock yourself out.  Might even be able to sell them.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

It would be possible to scan or 3D model and print a centre grille for an 02 at home on a desk top printer

Most 'hobby' printers don't have a bed big enough for even the center grille.  200 mm cubed is usually about the usable print size.

You can go bigger, but then mechanical rigidity has to go up at roughly a cubed rate.  So cubic $$$

Another real limitation is supporting such an open, thin structure.  It's not easily scanned

because many parts are shadowed from a 2.5 axis scanner.

It's not easily printed because it 'floats' in 3d space.  3d printers at the hobby level

work from the bottom up, and the bed profile of the part needs to be a significant percentage of the overall part.

The curves have to be built up in composite from a flat plane, and when shallow, become quite digitized or 'stepped'

Supports work, but would be tricky to get right, and then probably would have to be soluble to be removed.

We're at the point where smaller bits aren't bad, but larger bits are exponentially harder.

As the technologies develop, size, speed, ease and software will improve- but probably linearly,

whereas to see a significant volumetric improvement, it'll have to at least double.  So while

progress will continue, it will APPEAR to plateau, as every 10 mm in gain only adds a little volume here, a little volume there.

And stepper motors made now are pretty much what they were 40 years ago. 

And scanning software is a massive development time sink, so anything that matches the hobby market will be slow to evolve.

Yes, large- volume hobby 3d printing will probably happen

if we don't nuke ourselves back to sticks and rocks,

but it's not really here now, and it's not

going to pop out fully developed overnight.

and so on

and so on

and so on

and so on

and so on

and so on

and so on

t

made you look

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
On 3/20/2019 at 4:27 PM, fastricky said:

+1 especially the shifter surround...

Frigiking base.jpg

IMG_2288.JPG

IMG_2289.JPG

IMG_2290.JPG

I faced the same issue...my Frigiking surround had been butchered/patched many times over the past 40 years, so I set out to make my own...it took about a month of trial and error (and lots of time trying to learn FreeCAD), but this is what I ended up with.  Not quite as rounded as the original, and of course, missing the 'correct' surface texture, but it works for me.  Note that I also added a USB port to the back to plug in my phone, and my 5-speed conversion placed the shifter off-center, so I made the 'hole' off center too.  I'm including a picture, a PDF, and a STL (which you can view in 3D on Windows) files.

PS, I also added an attachment for a cup holder I got from Wal-Mart :)

10 Final.pdf 10 Final.bmp Re-Started Surround 10.Final maybe-Body.stl

IMG_2452.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2454.JPG

IMG_2455.JPG

IMG_3040.JPG

IMG_2449.jpg

IMG_2450.jpg

IMG_2451.jpg

Edited by Steve76063
Added Photos & ps nots

S/N 2579886 Inka (Code 022) Birthday 03 Dec 1971 Delivered 13 Dec 1971 to Hoffman Motors 40 DCOE's, 9.5CR, 123 Ignition 

#792890.Smaller.jpg

23 minutes ago, fjord-tii said:

Part 51361817671, Covering cap for rear quarter window bracket. I believe the originals are white nylon, they are NLA and expensive used. Very small, simple part!

$45/pair from coupeking.com

$28.87 each from rogerstii

~£10.00  each 3D printed from Jaymic - https://www.jaymic.com/1502-to-2002-turbo/interior-trim/interior-parts-carpets-material-etc/cover-cap-for-rear-quarter-light-catch.html

Edited by John_in_VA

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif