• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

I spent probably 2+ hours today removing four different nuts, three attaching the exhaust manifold to the head and one holding on my brake master cylinder. I swear there was someone at the BMW factory in the 60s whose job it was to ensure every fastener was too close to an obstacle for you to be able to get a socket on it. Honestly, did they put these cars together with the open end spanners? Losing my mind here  🫠🫠🫠

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Well it’s been awhile. Got the Pertronix installed and timed, new coil, plugs, wires etc. The carb is still junk but kinda works. Installed some hella 500s on an IE bar and drove it 100 miles. Parked it for the work week and noticed the water pump is now pumping onto my garage floor while the car is off lol

I just picked up some 14” bottle caps and a set of 185/65 for them while I wait for word from Coker about OG tires

slowly but surely, she’s coming back to life

• Like 3

I got my custom throttle cable bracket from sendcutsend.com yesterday.  Today I drilled the holes for the mounting studs and the throttle cable, shaved a few spots for better access to the acorn nuts, rounded the sharp corners, sprayed a couple of coats of Satin Black paint and mounted it up.  Full throttle linkage travel with gas pedal floored.  I'll start working on the interior tomorrow with sound deadening installation.

Mark92131

IMG_4177.JPG

IMG_4178.JPG

IMG_4179.JPG

• Like 17

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

I spent the day cracking into the E30 1.8L engine that's going into my 1602, and man oh man what a beautiful thing this is. No idea what the mileage is, but it's 42 years old and it honestly looks like it was just driven out of the factory in Munich straight into a time capsule. When I got down to the rod and bearing caps I was just cracking the torque with a half turn of my ratchet and turning every nut and bolt out the rest of the way with my fingers.

Carbon buildup on the piston crowns and combustion chambers is the only evidence I have anyone ever drove this thing 😂

• Like 14

@Mark92131  Like the bracket solution.  Looks slick.

Painted the uprights and the areas behind the headlight brackets black.  Authentic brush stroke pattern, haha. Also painted the front portion of the radiator with Eastwood’s radiator paint.

Test fit the front grill to make nothing visually jumps out from behind.  Fun fact, I bought the grill in 2012 when BMW did a batch of them.  Price was $107.  Glad to finally see it on the car.

Got the header back from ceramic coating from the boys at Raw Powdercoating (LongBeach).  They do fantastic work, enthusiast owned/operated.

Thanks to Jesus at CK for the E9 3.0cs OE spark plug wire loom, another little period touch.  Mounted it with some standoffs, but will likely get some more thermal protection for the wires.

….. and it’s finals week!  First final is tomorrow morning. 

IMG_0099.jpeg

IMG_0094.jpeg

IMG_0101.jpeg

IMG_0102.jpeg

• Like 28

44 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

@Mark92131  Like the bracket solution.  Looks slick.

Painted the uprights and the areas behind the headlight brackets black.  Authentic brush stroke pattern, haha. Also painted the front portion of the radiator with Eastwood’s radiator paint.

Test fit the front grill to make nothing visually jumps out from behind.  Fun fact, I bought the grill in 2012 when BMW did a batch of them.  Price was $107.  Glad to finally see it on the car.

Got the header back from ceramic coating from the boys at Raw Powdercoating (LongBeach).  They do fantastic work, enthusiast owned/operated.

Thanks to Jesus at CK for the E9 3.0cs OE spark plug wire loom, another little period touch.  Mounted it with some standoffs, but will likely get some more thermal protection for the wires.

….. and it’s finals week!  First final is tomorrow morning. 

IMG_0099.jpeg

IMG_0094.jpeg

IMG_0101.jpeg

IMG_0102.jpeg

Holy green hornet Batman, that Kato look is awesome!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, NMDerek said:

Holy green hornet Batman, that Kato look is awesome!

Haha! thank you!  Love Kato-san's creations (especially the older ones). 

This design was modeled partially after the headers I'd seen/heard on the Hakosuka S20 and a half-bank of the Ferrari 412 T2 3.0L V12.  Drago (Candella Mfg.) brought it to life.   Hopefully they'll sound the part...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

With new 3D printed cable ends, cables tracks and housings cleaned and lubed, and a new W spring for the winder, the suroof is fully operational again.

Last item... BMW sunroof seals. The lid is done.

sunroofseals.thumb.jpg.faef05c638b98757a0d342c2825f783c.jpg

Edited by OldRoller
  • Like 15

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

As I promised myself, today I started installing the sound deadener.

Before I painted the car, I removed all the tar sheets using the dry ice method that was very successful on all the horizontal surfaces.  The two tar sheets on the vertical panels under the rear windows are thinner and I couldn't keep the dry ice on long enough to freeze them off, so they remained during the painting process.

In theory, I could have just left them there, or just laid the new Kilmat over them, but I need to sleep at night so removing them was my only option.  Harbor Freight heat gun and a scrapper made short work of them which allowed me to cover the vertical panels in the back seat area.  It's a start.

Mark92131

IMG_4181.JPG

IMG_4180.JPG

IMG_4182.JPG

• Like 15

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Right on. Started as Polaris Silver, then Estoril Blue, and will be Dove Blue. Was going to go with Fire Orange then changed my mind just before.