• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

GC suspension setup is complete!  Overall, huge fan of the whole system, especially the fit and finish of everything.  I may raise the rears a little, but I love the way she sits now.

image.thumb.png.6d4a083f1dd4c08d1519d811410e00d9.png

Car goes to the local shop for alignment then that should do it.

• Like 16

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

Look what I found! 

Factory repair panel 41351885106

My local BMW dealer found it in stock in Germany and shipped it here at their cost.

I had rolled the fender, so I guess I'll be re-rolling it after the mending. As far as I can tell, this was the only area that had bondo. I think I just need from 9 o'clock to 1 o'clock. I'll be sanding this down to confirm.  Hopefully, blasting won't produce any surprises elsewhere.

C08E1FEE-75A1-4728-85D0-627C2FE45B7B_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.b2e7d0b612fb597efecbad31e1e6ff7b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9a1256a9c7a6125bc161798be5959eea.jpeg

• Like 5

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024

Picked up and mounted the refinished bottle caps and new tires.  

I like the bottle caps on a 2002, there I said it.   And you know what?  I also think the bottle caps were the best looking part of the e30, the square block on block that was a styling step backwards from the e21...there I also said that😃  (sits back and waits for the torch and pitchfork mob)

These are placeholders until I locate a complete set of the soup bowls which are my fav '02 wheels.

02bct.jpg

Edited by wingswheelshulls
  • Like 4

1974 '02 Golf 'Gabby', few Porsches and leaky British things.

45 minutes ago, wingswheelshulls said:

Picked up and mounted the refinished bottle caps and new tires.  

I like the bottle caps on a 2002, there I said it.   And you know what?  I also think the bottle caps were the best looking part of the e30, the square block on block that was a styling step backwards from the e21...there I also said that😃  (sits back and waits for the torch and pitchfork mob)

These are placeholders until I locate a complete set of the soup bowls which are my fav '02 wheels.

02bct.jpg

I like the bottlecaps also.  I keep that information quiet.

I have a refurbished set, still boxed up until such an occasion arises for their use!

If you have a moment, will you please post picture of your car with the bottlecaps mounted.

Light is seriously underrated.

8 minutes ago, BeMyWay said:

I like the bottlecaps also.  I keep that information quiet.

I have a refurbished set, still boxed up until such an occasion arises for their use!

If you have a moment, will you please post picture of your car with the bottlecaps mounted.

I don't have any great profile pics, but here is one w/ my friend's MGA.  Decent view of the 'caps before refurb.

CHMGBMW423.jpg

IMG_4096 (2).JPG

Edited by wingswheelshulls
  • Like 2

1974 '02 Golf 'Gabby', few Porsches and leaky British things.

On 2/10/2024 at 5:30 PM, Mark92131 said:

This is more like "What did you do to your 2002/1600 for the last 4 days".  Well I did something no one should attempt.  I pulled the heater core out of the heater box without removing it completely from under the dash.  Why, mostly desperation!  As you may recall, while running the S14 motor in the 1600, I had coolant running out of the heater box and pooling inside the driver and passenger floorboards.  Assuming that the heater core had blown a seam, I started the process of removing the heater box from under the dash.  Two 10mm bolts, a couple of ground wires, four fan wires and the heater and air control levers and it should come out, right?  Not so fast, I swapped in a 1 piece dash and it covers the mounting hardware for the heater and air control levers on the 1600, so the dash would also need to be removed to get the heater box out.

Rather than spend hours pulling the dash, I decided that I should be able to drop the heater box enough to pull the top off and extract the heater core.  If I was 5'10" and 165 lbs this would have been a good approach, but at 6'3" and 215 lbs this was stupid.  It took me 1 day to get it out, 1 day to test it and come to the realization it wasn't leaking, and 2 days to put it back together and reinstall it.  Turns out the inlet heater hose on the driver's side was leaking into the top of the box.

Some lessons are harder than others.

Mark92131

IMG_4086.JPG

BUT...look at that color!  That Nevada should make all the pain melt away...

1973 2002 - my '02 was built on my '02

Other - 2022 V60CC, 2014 B8.5 S4, 2003 TJ

Past - 1996 318ti, 1999 323i, 2004 X3 (with 6-spd manual!), 2007 328i spt pkg, 2015 XC70, and a whole mess of GTIs in the old days.

Spent the rainy afternoon cleaning the sunroof mechanism rails and replacing the broken plastic pivot slides on the ends of the cables. Some months ago (knowing I had broken slides) I downloaded the files from thingiverse and had a local with a 3D printer make some. I had him make 4, cheap a 8 bucks per. 

Sunroofrailslider.thumb.jpg.b7dd458a1bd36d9900d2884e414b52d0.jpg

A little rough, but they fit the rails and slid well. I needed to enlarge the anchor pin and lifting pin holes a tiny bit for fit, and take a small amount of material off the back edge for the rising anchor to clear when moving. Strong plastic, I will probably not need the second set.

S-roofrailright.thumb.jpg.dcf167d1f156867a89bbd8ead9443763.jpg

• Like 10

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

3 hours ago, OldRoller said:

Spent the rainy afternoon cleaning the sunroof mechanism rails and replacing the broken plastic pivot slides on the ends of the cables. Some months ago (knowing I had broken slides) I downloaded the files from thingiverse and had a local with a 3D printer make some. 

How did you end up attaching the sliders to the cable? I'm trying to figure out the best way to attach mine. 

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

I found a chrome rear windshield strip in a baggy I KNEW had somewhere from Illuminescence group about 100 years ago.  Try put one of those in, I'd rather have a root canal.  I have the special tool, took an hour looks great!  Now Maybe do the front!

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, bergie33 said:

How did you end up attaching the sliders to the cable?

I was able to remove one of the slugs by turning and pulling it off with vice grips. Reused and crimped it well. The other I had to carefully cut off, used an electrical butt connector fully crimped. The sliders must be able to turn on the central wire. 

• Like 1

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

13 hours ago, OldRoller said:

Spent the rainy afternoon cleaning the sunroof mechanism rails and replacing the broken plastic pivot slides on the ends of the cables. Some months ago (knowing I had broken slides) I downloaded the files from thingiverse and had a local with a 3D printer make some. I had him make 4, cheap a 8 bucks per. 

Sunroofrailslider.thumb.jpg.b7dd458a1bd36d9900d2884e414b52d0.jpg

A little rough, but they fit the rails and slid well. I needed to enlarge the anchor pin and lifting pin holes a tiny bit for fit, and take a small amount of material off the back edge for the rising anchor to clear when moving. Strong plastic, I will probably not need the second set.

S-roofrailright.thumb.jpg.dcf167d1f156867a89bbd8ead9443763.jpg

Do you have the files to share for the 3D printing, or a link pointing me in the right direction? My son in Raleigh would just love to make a few of those for his dear old Dad with the rusty 1976 2002. It's the least he could do, right?

• Like 2

"When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt."