• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

I bought mine at O'Reilly's in Bremerton, where they also carry 5 qt. jugs of VR-1 20-50.  The filters are $12.99, so pretty close to $15 with tax (the oil is $37).  I haven't run solvents through the engine. 

I'm glad I finally took Toby's adviCe and installed the pressure gauge.  It takes a while for the oil to come up to temp (based on pressure readings) and it climbs high quickly (above 3k rpm) until then.

The last filter I had on started leaking and it was scary-loose when I checked it.  I twist them on tighter now.

3 hours ago, flagoworld said:

Cool… I use them because I have heard from many different people that Wix is one of the best brands for filters. Also a lot of youtube vids tearing them down and showing many pleats, etc.

I got mine from oreilly’s in pbo. I don’t remember it being $15 but damn that’s pricey. I was due for an oil change so maybe this is FATE! 😂

I want to say my cold oil pressure was 80psi… I guess we’ll know for sure after getting the pressure sensor installed one day.

You tried running any engine cleaners through before doing an oil change? Could break free sludge causing stickiness.

Seeing this discussion I searched around the 'net and found that I can pick up one of the Wix 51374 filters at my local O'Reilly's for $12.99.  As for a Mann filter, most website suppliers seem to agree that OC 25 is the correct filter.    Those can be had for between $8 to $10, but plus shipping (Rock Auto would be about $13 including shipping).  The owner's manual is silent on the brand / spec.  BMWPartsDeal will sell a "BMW" filter for around $12, I wonder what exactly that is?

Edited by its55
typo

On 12/22/2022 at 7:52 PM, BarneyT said:

Making good progress, but the last 15% seems to take forever…finally finished under dash wiring/center console/ steering wheel surround and installed passenger seat…

C93ABE22-20D7-43A4-9FA3-690F63F1E6B7.jpeg

4DEC6471-9610-4A0C-8CE4-BD7E87A527CF.jpeg

1E870493-7DE5-498F-9C5A-A178FF545EC0.jpeg

8202EF5B-BECA-46C3-AEB9-C12043288A41.jpeg

Hey Barney, where did you get that shift knob? I'm looking for a non-roundel replacement for one like that in my E3

btw, the car is looking shaaaaaarp!

• Thanks 1

73 02 Inka

05 M3 Schwarz 2

67 912 Light Ivory

On 12/24/2022 at 2:20 AM, flagoworld said:

Supposed to be good but what do I know? Maybe I just didn’t have it screwed on tight enough.

I've read good things about Wix as well.

But I'm still using OC25s.  OC25s I said. 

Cheers,

Edited by ray_
  • Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

What oil viscosity are you using?

Thick stuff isn't that good for rod bearings in cold weather either.  Excessive pressure means not much oil is flowing.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

1 hour ago, jimk said:

What oil viscosity are you using?

Thick stuff isn't that good for rod bearings in cold weather either.  Excessive pressure means not much oil is flowing.

20/50… Got down to 18F last couple nights but was 33F when this happened.

'74 Verona

1 hour ago, flagoworld said:

20/50… Got down to 18F last couple nights but was 33F when this happened.

Some chemistry on today's oil that makes the thick stuff unnecessary.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Very cold and clear here today, 17 or so degrees overnight decided to let the Ceylon project rest today and took the Inka tii for a drive on cow creek. Some of the areas of the creek were frozen over.

71F4AEF7-1B4B-4E4D-B25B-A0F3B0CC9CD0.jpeg

D7953AD8-5EAC-4FC4-A5BC-37CD0083A4D5.jpeg

9BC4DEDC-1F9C-4298-8911-3F3D8E2C24EC.jpeg

0CCDA1EB-51BF-4FDC-8DB7-E413480BFF59.jpeg

B111F2CE-7AC8-4BBD-A90F-E3D77551D6B4.jpeg

• Like 7

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

10 hours ago, jimk said:

Some chemistry on today's oil that makes the thick stuff unnecessary.

I have always suspected such things. That was a pretty interesting watch. I was considering maybe a 10w40 synthetic or something instead of 20w50. But always scared to take the risk 😱

'74 Verona

10 hours ago, flagoworld said:

I was considering maybe a 10w40 synthetic or something instead of 20w50. But always scared to take the risk 😱

I've never used 20W-50 and was weaned from dino in 1979.

• Like 1