• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

2 hours ago, RichenFamous said:

Looks great! What stapler/size staples did you use? 
🍻

Rich

Thanks! To be honest I didn’t replace the staples. I’d been told to use 1/8” staples. When I pulled the card I noticed the entire card wasn’t stapled, by design. There were only about 12 staples on lower leading edge. I used headliner spray adhesive throughout the front surface and contact cement (water resistant, indoor/outdoor, by Weldwood) on all the edges that fold over to back. I felt comfortable with this method after seeing a number of similar approaches on YouTube. Time will tell. 

Edited by Pablo M
Spelling and grammar.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

Just now, bob02 said:

Rich,

I've used a standard Swingline office stapler and simply cut the staples to the appropriate length using a pair of dykes. Cheap,works great and readily available.

Bob

I heard the red Swingline staplers are exceptionally desirable.  Just sayin...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, slowbert said:

I heard the red Swingline staplers are exceptionally desirable.  Just sayin...

Look, @slowbert! I don't know who you are, but you just stole the joke I was going to make!

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Fit this sentimental piece on the e30 style shifter lever with the pull off style knob. Ordered a 15x1.5 die and threaded the post since it’s the same size. 
This shift knob isn’t the best looking but it’s one of the first things I made when learning to use a lathe, and it was for my first 2002… and bonus I can fit a wood knob later!5E6AE067-9B3C-4464-9938-70ABC335B51C.thumb.jpeg.bfb9031b187a0566ecfb52d95fb39042.jpegBDA618AF-6F85-465A-9054-0C20B11EF6B3.thumb.jpeg.7b8b40502a74834092056887bbfa3333.jpeg257D437C-83F9-4A21-A34A-DD01C64E7CD3.thumb.jpeg.e9dd9822b5ec3925267853631e8ddc6a.jpeg

Edited by Rob Zaeos
  • Like 9

Was inspired by some consoles on here and at our recent 02berfest in central Texas and decided to put my expensive education to use - laid out and drafted into Autocad the alpha template for the 'long' sides based on a hand trace from one of @BarneyT's best stock. Picking up the prototype from the laser cutter tomorrow, but the idea is to work through a couple versions to really nail the radii and various other dimensions so this can be shared and be used by anyone to make them out of any material [or ply/mdf bases to be vinyl wrapped] via sendcutsent or local maker spaces. If anyone has any enlightening details to the original design or dimensions please DM me, I would love to know to keep these as accurate to the original as possible! Future plans are also to make ones fitting the Behr aircon version

20221114.jpg

221114 - 2002 Console Alpha JPG.jpg

• Like 16

6 minutes ago, KaneT said:

Was inspired by some consoles on here and at our recent 02berfest in central Texas and decided to put my expensive education to use - laid out and drafted into Autocad the alpha template for the 'long' sides based on a hand trace from one of @BarneyT's best stock. Picking up the prototype from the laser cutter tomorrow, but the idea is to work through a couple versions to really nail the radii and various other dimensions so this can be shared and be used by anyone to make them out of any material [or ply/mdf bases to be vinyl wrapped] via sendcutsent or local maker spaces. If anyone has any enlightening details to the original design or dimensions please DM me, I would love to know to keep these as accurate to the original as possible! Future plans are also to make ones fitting the Behr aircon version

20221114.jpg

221114 - 2002 Console Alpha JPG.jpg

Love this! Maybe start a separate thread so I can subscribe!

• Like 3

Replaced the failed center link. 
funny side note. Open wounds (knuckles) and brake cleaner don’t mix! 😮

image.thumb.jpeg.d10c29747b797f1ff037f7bc78656aff.jpeg

Also changed the oil/filter. Is the drain plug really 45ft/lbs torque? I’m paranoid given my e39 M5 plug strips if you look

at it sideways lol. 

Also replaced the faded-to-white rear red

reflectors and side markers with used (yes one new rear reflector came from a marker light). A simple aesthetic upgrade that is satisfying. 
image.thumb.jpeg.bd9f3735d385b521fbc71e431540647f.jpeg

Discovered my generally rust free car has some rust. Boo! 
(bought sight unseen)

It’s just on the passenger side. Otherwise bottom is clean. 
image.thumb.jpeg.0ec67fbaa67f1c4dc605dedb1f4ac939.jpeg

and what the hell is this? Does not look like original resonator. 
image.thumb.jpeg.c0932e70a61fffd2df4d1dca626f5b47.jpeg

A productive day! 

• Like 2

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

On 11/6/2022 at 1:10 PM, Schon '02 said:

“Simple” valve cover gasket replacement … if that were only so. 🤣

Is your motor a Sulev Motor? if so and it's under the 15yr/150K emission warranty and the valve cover gasket would be replaced for free through the dealer.

Edited by The Judge

18 minutes ago, stephers said:

Don't worry , after 45 years of doing this stuff, it doesn't hurt as much with open wounds and any number of liquids.     Acetone  is one of the worst.

But super glue works great to close up the bigger ones

Thanks, Rick

The superglue trick I remember from college, stopping the blood so I could continue making architectural models lmao. 

• Haha 1

2003 e39 M5 (daily)