• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

On 5/3/2018 at 6:55 PM, Dudeland said:

Do yourself a favour, replace the two oil seals at the bottom of the oil cooler while you are at it. They don't look bad, but just in case. 

Excellent point! Yesterday I finished my work with the oil seal and completely reassembled the engine and ran it on my shopping cart engine stand and sure enough the oil appears to be still leaking from the top of the engine at the base of the oil cooler! Nobody can accuse me of doing things the easy way. Today I'll pull the fan shroud and change the oil cooler seals and try again, at least I didn't put it back in the car.  2002 content - I used it again to buy more beer for the VW project, ran puurrfectly.

VW Content... I bought my first VW (68) super cheap, due to a major leak there.  $2 fix.  A bit tough to do with the engine in the car, but that was the way I did it. 

Make sure you get the right size seals.  They made two sizes.  The ones in the car I bought were the wrong size (smaller).

Tom

4 hours ago, '76mintgrun'02 said:

VW Content... I bought my first VW (68) super cheap, due to a major leak there.  $2 fix.  A bit tough to do with the engine in the car, but that was the way I did it. 

Make sure you get the right size seals.  They made two sizes.  The ones in the car I bought were the wrong size (smaller).

Tom

Wouldn't you know one of the seats for the oil cooler seals is really poorly formed, I attempted to fill the missing part of the cast with a dab of JB Weld.  I don't recall noticing that when I initially built the engine but I didn't keep records all that well back in those days. 

DSC00139.JPG

DSC00140.JPG

13 minutes ago, Chamonix72 said:

Installed a new battery today! Good for another 7 years, I hope!

0863352867d89dc0d826d1602a21c998.jpg

I'm waiting on a battery for a similar install, just curious what you are using for the ground and do you feel it's adequate for an all season car in a good state of tune? 

I'm waiting on a battery for a similar install, just curious what you are using for the ground and do you feel it's adequate for an all season car in a good state of tune? 

Just a ground point off to the right in that picture. I have had a battery in that location for over 7 years, and it’s been great. This battery is the same model as the one that finally died.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

Changing out the trailing arms, since one of the previous four owners must've taken the car off-roading with worn shocks...

IMG_7475.jpg

IMG_7478.jpg

IMG_7481.jpg

1974 2002 Verona & 1973 2002 Riviera

1982 320iA & 1983 320iS
2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L PSD Wife's

15 hours ago, 7502 said:

Excellent point! Yesterday I finished my work with the oil seal and completely reassembled the engine and ran it on my shopping cart engine stand and sure enough the oil appears to be still leaking from the top of the engine at the base of the oil cooler! Nobody can accuse me of doing things the easy way. Today I'll pull the fan shroud and change the oil cooler seals and try again, at least I didn't put it back in the car.  2002 content - I used it again to buy more beer for the VW project, ran puurrfectly.

Glad I could help. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Installed a new battery today! Good for another 7 years, I hope!

0863352867d89dc0d826d1602a21c998.jpg&key=b3e6b625ba0045d8eefdbf3b7938c036522cdf4c1b0b27e239cae1f9251206e6

I’ve been wanting to relocate my battery, would you be able to provide more details on the battery your using and how you mounted it?

Thanks Oliver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'72 2580905

I’ve been wanting to relocate my battery, would you be able to provide more details on the battery your using and how you mounted it?
Thanks Oliver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The battery tray and holding strap were designed by Tom at 02 Again. It was a prototype he was working on. I do not know whether it was put into production. The battery is a WestCo built for a Mazda Miata (MX5).

Basically the tray bolts in to the lower bulkhead. There are a couple of flaps through which screws are placed. The strap comes over the top and slides over the screws. If you are handy, it is the kind of thing you could fabricate.
  • Like 1

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun