• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 bmw 3.0 cs

Kidroundie

The rust that you see is just the tip of the iceberg. The fenders do not bolt on ;like a 2002 there are several pieces all spot welded, if you see specks of rust on the inner/outer fender seams  at  the top where the edge of the hood closes, there is a lot more underneath. If the seller will let you, pull the rocker panel covers and check below,  there are about 6 screws on them. They seem to trap garbage which creates a moist environment for rust to thrive.MVC-005S.JPGthis was a southern california car

MVC-006S (2).JPG

Edited by echappe
mis spellimn

2 minutes ago, echappe said:

The rust that you see is just the tip of the iceberg. The fenders do not bolt on ;like a 2002 there are several pieces all spoy welded if you see specks of rust on the inner/outer fender seams  at  the top where the edge of the hood closes there is a lot more underneath. If the seller will let you, pull the rocker panel covers and check below,  there are about 6 screws on them. they seem to trap garbage which create a moist environment for rust to thrive.MVC-005S.JPGthis was a southern california carMVC-006S (1).JPG

MVC-005S (2).JPG

MVC-006S (2).JPG

dang alright yeah that was my plane to ask him if I could remove thing where rust can be but is hard to see unless you remove pieces. Thanks really appreciate your help! 

What's your plan?  Just get it and drive? Restore? Mod?  What's your budget?   Why are they selling the car?  That price seems to be a low price for a good running example.  In my book the reason why it's cheap is because there are things wrong with it that will cost a lot of money to fix.  Find out what they are, and if you are OK with that in the price to fix that and then buy it. If not pass. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

11 minutes ago, jrhone said:

What's your plan?  Just get it and drive? Restore? Mod?  What's your budget?   Why are they selling the car?  That price seems to be a low price for a good running example.  In my book the reason why it's cheap is because there are things wrong with it that will cost a lot of money to fix.  Find out what they are, and if you are OK with that in the price to fix that and then buy it. If not pass. 

Okay thanks man! That really helps! 

Thank you,

Seth

Somewhere on E9 forum is a summary of common rust spots. Most of the car is included, much of it structural. The only way to fix it is to strip the car to the tub (no mean feat), spend mucho dollars on body work, and then try to put the jigsaw puzzle  back together. It took me over two years doing it myself. A 2002 is a piece of cake compared to a CS - I've done both. My CS was done in mid 80s, so it only had 20 years of rust. Still, it needed rockers, rear quarter panels, inner fenders, floor and door patches and a lot of media blasting. That's before attending to the mechanical restoration of the car.

The body itself is complicated: there are three layers of rocker panel. The front fenders have to be cut off and welded back on to access underneath. You can spend days just getting the windows aligned properly. Parts are not cheap. I was lucky to have two parts cars at hand.

That said, they are beautiful cars, and will always attract a crowd. It's worth having a look at the one near you, but you neeed to give it a thorough inspection inside, outside and underneath. I think you will find a lot more rust. If you really want one, follow Preyupy's advice and find a good body.

Beauty!

...just got mine before Christmas, still working thru a couple things, but it runs very well. 

image.jpeg

Ed

...sometimes I have good taste 

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

great colour. I think they look better without bullet mirrors on the fenders. Original Solexes I see.  I changed to Webers.

All very inspiring for kidroundie I'm sure. However, a rusty CS can turn out to be a money pit. We need some pics of the prospective bride.

3 hours ago, Hans said:

great colour. I think they look better without bullet mirrors on the fenders. Original Solexes I see.  I changed to Webers.

All very inspiring for kidroundie I'm sure. However, a rusty CS can turn out to be a money pit. We need some pics of the prospective bride.

Once I go to look at in in a week or so I will be taking lots of pictures and upload them to the forum. very inspiring haha. if I don't get the CS I still have 2 awesome 2002's!

12 hours ago, Ringworm02 said:

I always loved the wishful thinking in this offer, $9.75K, yeah right:

6508_p41_l.jpg

http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1975-bmw-3.0cs-c-6508.htm

Read the original option list, fellas!  That's the "easy-access spare tire" option!  ?

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)