• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 2002Ti

Driv3r

On 12/23/2016 at 8:15 PM, 02Les said:

Production ended April 1971.

Which coincided neatly with the introduction of the Euro-spec tii and the new Modell 71 (long-tail bumpers, knee trim, black instruments, long console, etc.). Thus, all tii's are Modell 71 and later cars, whereas all ti's are pre-Modell '71 cars.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I kinda find it hard to believe that Ti got out of the factory with a regular booster and no air cleaner brackets not to mention the Spanish Weber's with cable linkage.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Knowing the VIN would clear up the YOM quickly...didn't see it in the writeup, but at least the front bumper has the bumper guards that were used on Euro squarelight cars, and they don't jibe with the plain, short end rear bumpers.  One piece dash from a later car.  

It also appears that the hood, trunk lid, front fenders and quarter panels are fiberglass.  Also the rockers are hand-formed (and beautifully done!).     Quite a spectacular car, but as has been pointed out, I was under the impression that BMW discontinued the carbureted ti when they introduced the tii in 1971.  According to the factory 2002 history book, ti production ended in January 1971, and tii production began in May '71.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Well, its pretty clear that the starting point was not a "ti", but if it was done by Schnitzer that would give it enough pedigree anyway. Did Schnitzer prepare cars for the road that would have carried such profane designations? I looked again at the 12 fuse box layout, but the fine print clearly states its first registered in 1973, so would fit.

The ti's were made up to the cutover to the tii, which would have been April / May 1971, mine is from Mid February, but its not near the end of the serial number range for the ti's.

Andrew 

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight