• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tech training: Lock Washers

OriginalOwner

Here's a very fascinating video on the topic of Lock Washers.  When the intent is to prevent the nut from turning, this is a real eye-opener.  The tech dials in a shake table amplitude of 0.9 and I don't have the testing background to understand how severe that vibration is in terms of what we'all see in the real world.  But the results nonetheless give me a big reason to pay close attention to properly assembling a bolted connection.

Cheers,

Carl

The 'music' sucks.

And I suspect the hardness of the surfaces has a huge effect on how well their proprietary lock washer works.

AND I was waiting to see how well threadlocker worked... and yes, wire and bent- plate, too...

Also, a wave washer...

Proves what Carroll Smith said about Nylocs, though- they're a lot better than a lock washer.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

That test apparatus needs some explanation before I will accept any of the test results.   Besides, I've never seen an ad where the other guys stuff does better.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Nord Lock nuts are used a lot in the rail industry for securing drive and detection rodding for switch machines and similar applications attached to the rails.

They also use a wide range of other proprietary lock nuts but never thread lock (correct process is hard to do and it's a harsh environment weather-wise). I think they like Nord Locks as they can be reused whereas most of the other systems are either similar to nylocs with aluminium in the nut or with a deformed section (like BMWs lock nuts). 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

You know, Carroll says Nylocs are reusable, as long as they are not damaged and have some drag left.

Likewise, the 'deformed barrel' nuts with the crushed threads.

I tend to replace them when it matters to me that the nut stays on...

I wanna try the nord locks- that's some fun with ramps, that is.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

When I got my airframe and powerplant FAA endorsement (more than a few years ago) the rule on lock nuts was once you engage the locking material if you can get more than 1/2 a turn by hand replace it.  

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

They left out star washers as well.

I've disliked split spring washers (split-locks) for a long time. Ever since I started finding broken ones, and that they tend to gouge the screw head and the part being fastened. 

Jerry

no bimmer, for now