• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Airbox Paint Recomendation Please

Stuart

I've come across a unique airbox.  I would like to clean it up and apply a coat of paint.  The airbox is fiberglass and the exterior surface is rough.  I want to clean it up and apply a coat of paint that will stand up to oil, engine heat, degreasers, and even brake cleaner.   I also want to find a paint color that will match an unpainted valve cover. 

Here is a picture of my motor and the airbox:

Thanks,

Stuart

Engine 3 After.jpeg

108.jpg

111.jpg

114.jpg

Edited by Stuart

It is fiberglass.  I've heard that powder coating is possible but I do not want to risk damaging the airbox.    Is there anything "spray on" that would stand up to cleaners and the heat?

Stuart  

Edited by Stuart

It looks like the gel coat or the fiberglass resin was tinted so that the box is black.  Have you tried a fiberglass cleaner that's meant for boats to get it nice and clean?  It might look very nice once cleaned up.  And failing that, try a marine supply place for a paint that will stick to fiberglass and be oil/gas resistant.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Hammerite is really tough.  You need to give it a long time to cure.

But it actually likes the heat- I've had good luck using it on brake drums.

It comes in gloss and crinkle finish...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

It is fiberglass.  I've heard that powder coating is possible but I do not want to risk damaging the airbox....

I didn't realize this!  Good to know.

Apparently almost anything that can withstand a 400-degree oven can be pre-heated, sprayed with powder -- which adheres because it slightly melts -- and then baked in the oven.  Results are often uneven and many powder coaters won't mess with non-metallic items but if it's do-able in 2016, it may be the norm in another 5 years!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Oops!  I went to school in California, reading comprehension wasn't pushed.  It looks so aluminum. I have a similar one that came with a wreck that I picked up. I'll get some pics. dq

What do you think its story is? What are its features? Does it carry a filter or is it just a plenum with a filter attached externally? What is the internal structure like - any ram pipes etc?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

7 hours ago, Stuart said:

Hammerite looks like its for metal.  The airbox is fiberglass.  Need to be real careful with this airbox.

Stuart

Hammerite's advertising is geared to metal, but it's used quite a bit to touch up fiberglass on boats, try it on a small out of sight section of your box just to be sure their aluminum color is a very close match to the raw aluminum on the m10 engine and it will take the heat and oil with no problem it's what I use for block paint for the last 30 or so years and never had any type of failure or staining, I use the light gray for the blocks as it makes finding drips easy.   

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Why not just primer,paint and clearcoat. Spraymax 2K comes in a semi gloss clear iirc. If it's fiberglass you should be able to paint it with just about any automotive paint. Most paints will hold up to underhood temps that aren't in direct contact with the block or manifold.