• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New '02 Owner

Smallpants

I was looking for a second e30 and instead found something better. :D 1974 2002.

619d40a2-39b5-41cf-8d59-4650a9a01275_zps

I saw this '02 on Craigslist, made a real, real lowball offer and to my great surprise the seller accepted my offer. I'm thrilled. And the best news is my wife likes it which is something I can't say about my E30.

It has no rust (God bless Southern California's dry air). The body is straight. It runs, drives, and stops but I'm not taking any road trips yet. It hasn't been registered since 2000. The guy I bought it from replaced the water pump, thermostat, distributor, plugs, and carb. He flushed the cooling system and dropped a new battery in it. I know a car that's been sitting that long is going to have other issues but I drove it home 35 miles so that's a good start.

It's an automatic which isn't a big deal because I'll be swapping in a 5-speed tranny eventually.

162A752E-14A7-42FA-B25C-114F85FBF45F_zps 

As for interior, it has good seats and new carpet but that's about all I can say about it. No headliner, cracked up dash, speedo not working, and a window that doesn't want to go up on the passenger door among other things. But for the price I paid I couldn't expect much more.  

A3973E3B-2650-4469-97C0-BF303BD7175A_zps

Well, I'm pretty new to this 2002 world so I have a lot to learn. I look forward to using this forum as a resource for years to come. Thanks in advance.  

Looks pretty sweet. If you aren't planning on flipping it, you should share what you paid for the general knowledge of the board.

You should be able to find lots of info on speedometer and dash repair on the FAQ. Check to make sure the speedo wire is hooked up on both ends, if you need a new speedo they aren't hard to come by. Welcome!!

Nice find and a bonus that your wife likes it. I have an automatic and while I had visions of a five speed conversion, I actually like it as is. Check to see if the speedo cable is plugged into the gauge properly and that the square drive end is ok. Enjoy your car and enjoy the forum.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

Looks almost identical to my blue 76 when I bought it, minus the automatic. Mine even had the two tone interior! It will be a great starting point, as it looks solid and unmolested.

Welcome to the club and enjoy!

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock

8 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

No, I don't think he should feel obligated to say what he paid.  Sounds like he got a great deal though.

Congrats on the car, welcome to the board.  If it hasn't been registered for some time, expect to pay some hefty back-taxes.  Car looks fantastic!

Oh, definitely not obligated in anyway. Some people don't mind sharing though.

13 hours ago, pklym said:

Looks pretty sweet. If you aren't planning on flipping it, you should share what you paid for the general knowledge of the board.

I don't mind telling you at all. I paid $3,500. Again, I'm new to the '02 car game but from what I've seen in Southern California that's good number. Having already bought one E30 and looking for another one I had occasion to come across 2002s for sale and I didn't see anything that was running with a straight body in that range. Either way I'm happy with what I paid.

If it turns out the lift mechanism for your passenger side window is broken, drop me an IM--I did a column on repairing a broken lift mechanism.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite