• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice '72 tii on Bat

walkinfool

38K - wow. I think it's a sweet car and I'm pretty sure the seller is happy. While this forum is obviously biased, I'll ask anyway... are the beloved Tii's now at the 30K+ mark?

VERY nice round taillight tii's are at the $40K+ mark. But at least until this auction, what you generally got at that level was FAR, FAR nicer than the BAT car.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

yes, it surpassed the reserve though hard to know what it was set at. incidentally, the 2nd place bidder stopped at $36K. he had purchased a '74 Alfa GTV earlier in the day on BaT but for a while seemed determined to pick up this tii as well. perhaps he was one of the recent powerball winners!

'72 Malaga 23Mar1972

'72 Malaga 11Jul1972
'09 Impreza
'11 Specialized hybrid

So in this very small statistical sampling, the presence or absence of the snorkel is completely uncorrelated to the values of the cars.

While it's true one tin-can-lid-shaped piece of steel won't affect the value of a tii in todays market, it's not that little piece of steel itself.  The snorkel-nose is a possible "symptom"  of other, possibly structural damage, including front stubframes, left-side motor mount and subframe assembly.  The 2002 clam-shell hood allows for some "creative" adjusting that challenges detection of shifted/bent front end sheet metal.  It is not detectable without anything but a close visual inspection or an alignment rack.  Check those welds and smoothed out seams, too! 

What I'm saying is, the snorkel/non-snorkel debate isn't about the symptom (of replacement), it's about the cause (of replacement).

The "when" is also a factor.  A tii that was crashed and received a new nose in the first year or two of life would be repaired and receive a clean title.  If it were crashed in the 1990s, at its lowest value, it would be written off and branded with a salvage title.

For example, I know of a lovely Baikal blue over black tii with its snorkel intact.  It received a salvage title for a minor bump in the nose and another bump in the rear.  It's a far sight more solid than the BaT car, but it's nearly worthless because of the title.

My own '74tii (which once belonged to COOP) received a salvage title after it was sideswiped while parked on the street.  It still has its snorkel.

Edited by Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Hold the phone, everybody, this just in from the seller:

@kapa6ac (the winner) .. It seems your phone is not accepting any incoming calls. I’ve sent email.. Still no answer.. Please contact me soon. Thank you.

(Cue ominous music...)

1972 2002tii VIN 2761819

Wow, I didn't think it would go for THAT much!

If that's the going rate for a merely "decent" tii, maybe I'll be joining the BaT peanut gallery myself and scrutinizing every tiny detail!  :)

Chris

Edited by cda951

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

With the pretty, shiny paint and chrome offset by the non-detailed undercarriage, the generic blue Recaros that didn't match the door panels or the rug, the door panels with speaker grilles, the imperfect dashboard, and the questions about the quality of the restoration here and on BaT, my guess was $30k.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Hmm, 2 "bidders" - both joined BAT within the last 3 weeks and are in a bidding war for the Tii and Alfa. One gets theTii and the other the Alfa. I hope both cars end up being paid for. How does that work? What consequences are in place if the winner doesn't follow through on BAT?

Regardless, there were other bids up to $35K by other parties.

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

Hmm, 2 "bidders" - both joined BAT within the last 3 weeks and are in a bidding war for the Tii and Alfa. One gets theTii and the other the Alfa. I hope both cars end up being paid for. How does that work? What consequences are in place if the winner doesn't follow through on BAT?

Regardless, there were other bids up to $35K by other parties.

I have not bought a car from BAT but I did participate in some of the bidding.  I may be wrong, but the way I understand it is they charge your credit card the 5% buyer fee.  If you don't follow through with the deal, you are out 5% of the sale price.  That's a big enough chunk of change to ensure there is no shill bidding.  

I was definitely eyeing the Alfa...  Very surprised the TII surpassed the price of the Alfa.  

Edited by hadokenny

They've had a lot of impressive iron sold through their auctions in the past year, some for rather eye popping sums. It's starting to really get some attention. However, their ratio of honest buyers to flakes is astonishingly high - I can only think of a small number of auctions that didn't close, and those were due to seller shenanigans. I don't think they've ever had an issue with buyers bailing.

1987 E28 535is -- Buttercup

1974 2002tii -- Pretty Penny

1994 E34 M5 -- Horehund

2001 E36/7 M Roadster -- Shaggy

I like the BaT's format, all except the fact that you can't tell if the reserve has been met. But their format goes a long way towards ensuring no shenanigans. Much more so than eBay.

As for the high prices being paid for these and other cars, it's easy: cash in the bank pays virtually no interest, with the way the stock market is going, cash there is a huge risk. So blue chip classic cars are a very safe investment, and that's why (I think) prices are heading north. Even if the prices drop, you can still drive and have a great time driving the cool car that you bought. Try that with a mutual fund.

Anthony

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1972 2002 Atlantik

Bunch of old airhead BMW motorcycles

While it's true one tin-can-lid-shaped piece of steel won't affect the value of a tii in todays market, it's not that little piece of steel itself.  The snorkel-nose is a possible "symptom"  of other, possibly structural damage, including front stubframes, left-side motor mount and subframe assembly.  The 2002 clam-shell hood allows for some "creative" adjusting that challenges detection of shifted/bent front end sheet metal.  It is not detectable without anything but a close visual inspection or an alignment rack.  Check those welds and smoothed out seams, too! 

What I'm saying is, the snorkel/non-snorkel debate isn't about the symptom (of replacement), it's about the cause (of replacement).

The "when" is also a factor.  A tii that was crashed and received a new nose in the first year or two of life would be repaired and receive a clean title.  If it were crashed in the 1990s, at its lowest value, it would be written off and branded with a salvage title.

For example, I know of a lovely Baikal blue over black tii with its snorkel intact.  It received a salvage title for a minor bump in the nose and another bump in the rear.  It's a far sight more solid than the BaT car, but it's nearly worthless because of the title.

My own '74tii (which once belonged to COOP) received a salvage title after it was sideswiped while parked on the street.  It still has its snorkel.

The same is true for a non-snorkel car....it too could have sustained prior damage and repairs. As with any car, a PPI should be performed.

Anthony

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1972 2002 Atlantik

Bunch of old airhead BMW motorcycles

The same is true for a non-snorkel car....it too could have sustained prior damage and repairs. As with any car, a PPI should be performed.

+1

And certainly the carbureted cars exhibit the same frequency of nose replacements as tii's. There's just no obvious "tip-off", as a snorkeled tii displays. I was able to afford my first '02, a '70, because it needed a new nose. And my '76 got a new nose in '78 -- oops, my bad! After a nose is replaced correctly, and a car receives a "bare metal" re-paint, there is virtually no way it can be detected. If I wasn't the original owner of my '76, and I didn't actively discuss its history, the next owner would say, "all original panels"!

The only way you know absolutely if your vehicle has ever been "hit" is to have been with it since its manufacturing date. But since a.) shipping times for a German-built car, destined for the U.S. -- including European-delivery cars -- range generally from 7 to 10 weeks (including trucking to ship, shipping to U.S. Port of Entry, and trucking to dealer), b.) incidents of damage-while-in-transit were high, and c.) you couldn't accompany the car, there is really no way to know with certainty. So when a third, fourth, or whatever owner tells me his/her car has never been hit, I'm thinking, "Yeah, right! And you came on the ship with your car?"

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)