walkinfool

Nice '72 tii on Bat

93 posts / 7103 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

VIN 2760941 should be a February 1972 car. But get the facts from BMW Archives ([email protected]), particularly to confirm the factory color. This one has lots of potential and looks plenty driveable today. Work on the details over time. The re-paint receipt says Titanium Silver -- not Polaris -- and both the engine and luggage compartment display some odd color tonalities, although the exterior looks close enough to Polaris. Either recover those Recaro front seats or restore the included original seats -- the current front seat appearance is distracting! And the M-Sport stripes are equally distracting, and entirely un-needed. I wonder if they could be peeled off without damaging the paint.

Regardless of seller's claim to no evidence of a nosepiece exchange, this one has clear evidence: the simple lap joint where the top of the radiator support sits on top of the front of the two inner fenders has been filled with body filler to "hide" the lap joint. The photo below of my Polaris '76, after its engine bay was re-painted shows the lap joint at top BUT...there's even a little body filler or seam sealer in mine now that wasn't present originally; the second photo, of a Sienabraun '76, shows an un-touched factory lap joint.

Returning to the tii that is the subject of this thread, at least the left rear shock tower on the tii has had work. So as with any 44-year-old car, get a good PPI.

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-04381200-1452714788_thumb.j

post-41123-0-57292300-1452952934_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

Very nice car, and yeah those seats need reupholstery, to match the rear seat. A little TLC to the interior and it'll be even better.

A car this old is allowed to have some issues. How many 02's don't? 

...A car this old is allowed to have some issues. How many 02's don't?

Absolutely true! The only concerning item to me is that left rear shock tower: 1.) usually, but not always, symptomatic of rust elsewhere; and 2.) the sloppy nature of the repair doesn't give me a lot of confidence in whatever rust repairs were made.

Regards,

Steve

It's sitting on E21 320is wheels--not the best choice in terms of offset and fender rubbing...  And being picky, they shoulda lost those modern black plastic wiper blades--they're jarring on a roundie.  

I think the problem with the apparent repairs on the inner rear wheel arches is that they didn't apply body schutz over the repaired spots, making 'em look smooth rather than textured.  One's attention is drawn to the smooth spots, and you're left wondering if that's welded metal underneath, or bondo and windowscreen.

Otherwise, a nice early, plastic-runnered tii.

mike

Nice looking car but the snorkel & lack of notch on the firewall begs the question if it's an original Tii I could be wrong but I thought they all had the firewall notch to be able to see the "ball" during timing . I agree on the front seats !

Nice looking car but the snorkel & lack of notch on the firewall begs the question if it's an original Tii I could be wrong but I thought they all had the firewall notch to be able to see the "ball" during timing . I agree on the front seats !

It's my understanding that the notch didn't appear until late 1972 so an early numbered Tii should not have one.

It's my understanding that the notch didn't appear until late 1972 so an early numbered Tii should not have one.

+1

Don't expect to see firewall notches and plastic runners in the same car. A tii is defined by its VIN. This has a tii VIN.

Regards,

Steve

i wouldn't assume because the shock towers were strip'd of the texture that they have been replaced...or because the radiator support has been blended in to the inner fenders that the nose was replaced...we did the same thing to the last 2 cars we strip'd and repainted...just because we thought it made for neater appearance

like i say ..there isn't a car that pops up for review here that would ever pass muster with this crowd...i wouldn't want this place to know about a car i was selling because of all the negative and nothing positive

it always look like from my pc screen that everyone is trying to be the most critical or find the biggest flaw...the car looks like a hell of a car at a hell of a good price and i'd be proud of it

(edited)

i wouldn't assume because the shock towers were strip'd of the texture that they have been replaced...or because the radiator support has been blended in to the inner fenders that the nose was replaced...we did the same thing to the last 2 cars we strip'd and repainted...just because we thought it made for neater appearance...

You raise good points, Esty, and you could certainly be correct, but...

Those shock towers don't looked completely stripped of texture to me. They only appear to be stripped in the areas that frequently rust, and the left tower, at least, appears to have body filler. I was responding more to the shape of the tower than its texture.

And I'll still put my money on a nose replacement whenever I see body filler concealing the lap joint, largely because I believe half of all noses have been replaced over the last 40-50 years. And given that it's a tii with a snorkel nose, I'm even more bullish on a nose replacement in this instance. I know there are knowledgable people who believe tii's sometimes came with snorkel noses. But I'm not in that camp and probably won't be until I personally meet a few original tii owners who clearly remember taking delivery of snorkeled cars; in 43 years of '02 ownership, I simply haven't met those people and it grows less likely each day.

If I, after 43 years as an '02 owner, buy an '02 with something I didn't see before the purchase, shame on me. But if I didn't have the benefit of hanging around these cars for 43 years, and was buying my first one today, I would want to know what I was buying and what areas to focus on. I'd want to buy a car despite its flaws rather than ignorant of them. And that's my viewpoint.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Anyone in the Atlanta area can take a drive up 985 to Oakwood and take a look at it in person.  Dick Barbour has it at his place.  I saw it 3 days before it was listed on BAT at a mechanics shop.  I took a few pics of it but didn't snoop underneath.  It's a Very nice car in person and has an aggressive note to the exhaust.

(edited)

Is this one done incorrectly? If so, what is incorrect about it? Not poking, I'm trying to understand the significance of all this.

Edited by Beemeup