• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine swap?

Tsweers89

Alright so a customer has brought me their 2002 which was recently purchased that they are wanting to get some more power out of. As of now the car already has a m20 swapped in along with normal bolt on's you would see with that engine. His budget is around $7-9k. I know a stroker 2.9L m20 is a viable option but you will get maybe 200whp out of that on the high side. So for the $5k I don't think it is worth it and I don't think he will enjoy it as much either since it will only be a 50 whp increase. I have heard the tuning horror stories of ITB's so I want to stay away from that and do something simple for him were he won't need to mess with it as he isn't very mechanically inclined. He saw a s50 swapped 2002 online and stated that's what he wanted. After doing some digging it seems a lot of fabrication work is needed. Which salt this time I'm not able to offer. I would turbo it but again no off the shelf kit will work and that's kind of what I am looking for. So what are your guys thoughts?

I'd say turbo the M20 tats in there. Should b waaaaay less than 9k. Yeah when you start saying 300+ hp in a chassis that came with 100 that gets me nervous as you have to reinforce and upgrade a lot to be safe and usable.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

My thought is if you're a shop that wants to turbo a used engine for a customer ..... well that's taking a big risk (especially if he wants to last a while).  I have helped more than one (competent and friendly) shop who has shot themselves in the foot in this exact way.

When you consider something like a stroker you also need to consider that you now have a fresh rebuilt engine. With proper tuning it will last a very long time. And for the record, tuning ITB's isn't anymore difficult than tuning a turbo.  One more thing you also need to consider is that if you do go turbo or s5x you should also be swapping to a medium case differential (and all the associated modifications).

To put it bluntly, when the customer starts by asking for an S5x it starts ringing alarm bells in my head that this guy has unrealistic expectations and could be a major headache to deal with no matter WHAT route you take and how much effort you pour in.  Good luck on the project, i do sincerely hope it turns out successfully.

Edited by AceAndrew

Maybe he would be interested in a turbo'd Honda S2000 or whatever motor.

I like the S14 and M20 swapped cars. It seems like all these new owners are into stuffing modern motors into 02's. Kinda like the VW and Datsun crowd. Personally I enjoy and am proud of the mighty M10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

He's going to have a hard time keeping his ass behind him with TOO much more power.

I agree with Andrew on this one- an S52/4 in a 2002 is kind of like a Mitsubishi Zero- you're not really supposed to bring the thing HOME afterwards...

I vote Ford 460.  With a blower.  And nitrous.

That oughta do it.

And it might not be much more than a turbo...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

He's going to have a hard time keeping his ass behind him with TOO much more power.

I agree with Andrew on this one- an S52/4 in a 2002 is kind of like a Mitsubishi Zero- you're not really supposed to bring the thing HOME afterwards...

I vote Ford 460.  With a blower.  And nitrous.

That oughta do it.

And it might not be much more than a turbo...

t

He needs an E30 to do a proper v8/blower.

post-47476-0-12891300-1445902049_thumb.j

Happens to be for sale right now, too!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/5259913394.html

post-47476-0-12891300-1445902049_thumb.j

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

I know I'm old school but seriously, this guy should buy a new Mustang GT and be done with it. I just don't understand people that want an old car because it has character and then replace everything about it that had character. A well-built M10 will move a 2002 just fine. An M20 will move it even finer. Oh, and Get Off My Lawn!

s.jpgp.jpgx.jpgh.jpgm.jpg

BMW Lotus Healey Miata x 2