• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspension Upgrade Coming Soon

rgiles675

I have that setup and love it. But I will say the biggest change to my ride came from changing out all the bushings, which I got from Blunt in a kit.

I ordered all of those as well including ball joints and tie rods....litereally everything under the car. All of this will go on as I do the springs.

I've been emailing him about the very same set-up. I plan on doing it next year and saving up over the winter. It should be a totally different car. I'm also a little weary of it all since I've never done anything like this before and want to do the work myself if I can. I am curious about the difference between sports and HDs. I know they're stiffer, just how much stiffer? 

mike tunney

I've been emailing him about the very same set-up. I plan on doing it next year and saving up over the winter. It should be a totally different car. I'm also a little weary of it all since I've never done anything like this before and want to do the work myself if I can. I am curious about the difference between sports and HDs. I know they're stiffer, just how much stiffer? 

I've read the Sport are wayyyyy to stiff for daily driving or road driving. I went with the HDs. When everything is on I'll fill everyone in on how she drives. Looking forward to it! Next big purchase is gonna be a lightend flywheel and clutch. My clutch is starting to slip in 2nd.

too much stiffer... from what I have read.

especially in the rear... so I hear.

I've read the Sport are wayyyyy to stiff for daily driving or road driving.

I have a 2002 with sports and a 2002 with HDs. The sports are definitely stiffer, but in no way are "too" stiff IMO. Think of HDs as a stock replacement (or a hair stiffer) rather than a performance "upgrade." My e30 has ground control coilovers and that setup is much stiffer than the 02 with sports.

What kind of driving will you be doing? I daily drove my 2002 with H&R sports and Bilstein sports for a few years with no complaints. 

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock

The sports are 'quite a bit' stiffer.  But without 'quite a bit stiffer' springs, you get a rather 'brisk' ride, but not particularly better handling on the track.  

Try HD's first.  Stay soft.  Stay supple.  Stay sane on crappy pavement!

Good, well- balanced street setup, btw, from when I ran something very similar.

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

My e30 has ground control coilovers and that setup is much stiffer than the 02 with sports.

"coilovers" are not by definition stiffer than anything, including stock suspensions.   the common misnomer merely means you have an adjustable spring perch allowing you to use standard size springs.  those springs, and the dampers you put in the strut, can be caddy soft or bone jarring stiff and anything in between.

2xM3