• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I embarked on a 5 speed upgrade almost two years ago!! Due to time & financial constraints the project stalled for a long time but by this past Spring I was able to get all the parts needed and was ready to roll. Time has been the enemy this summer to get the job done, but with a weekend at home and no family plans I was able to spend 14 hours yesterday and got the 5-speed installed and all mechanicals hooked up. Called it a night at 1:30a having fired up the motor for the first time in 22 months and feeling confident I could drop it off the stands next day.

Today was re-installing the interior, troubleshooting and fixing a fuel-delivery leak, and then my 12 year old daughter Molly came out and helped me wash and fully wax the car. Original paint coming back to a nice luster shine! To celebrate, the whole family (me + my wife + two daughters 10 & 12) took Otto out on a short local drive to road test and grab a bite to eat.

Road test thus far very successful! Hit all five gears but just coasted in 4 and 5 as we never hit more than 40mph. No vibration sounds yet to indicate a misaligned shaft/guibo. Shifting is SO MUCH NICER than with the 4 speed box I'd had in it since I bought the car in 2002. It's a short-shift kit from Ireland and it's really slick. 

Tomorrow, road test up to highway speed and see how it goes.

Mainly, I'm just super pumped that I was able to do the job! I'm not a pro mechanic by any means, and this was a fairly complicated project with many steps. Feels good to have got 'er done and I'm beyond excited to have the car back on the road to enjoy driving!

I've asked a number of questions along the way and I really could not have gotten this done without the help of the amazing community on this forum proving great input and also having taken the time to post detailed info about their experiences. THANK YOU!!!

Dug

p.s. Pic attached of the post-bath/wax ready to go on maiden voyage today

post-33363-0-82217000-1440989701_thumb.j

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002

Having had the luxury of be able to borrow a lift for my 5 speed swap, I am humbled by those who can do it on jackstands.  Kudos to you!  

Great looking car!

Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Yay! You are going to love it, best thing to do to a 2002 for long distance travels.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

+ 2 on loving that five speed.  Especially if you take long trips or do lots of local interstates.  800 rpm drop at a given speed between 4th and 5th.  Best single thing I've done to my 02s in 46 years of ownership.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite