• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

article ..... "Babied Blaü - 1970 BMW 2002"

OriginalOwner

The air cleaner should be black on a 70 single barrel Solex I believe, and he's running a blue coil and a ballast resistor too. Shame it's driven so little.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

The air cleaner should be black on a 70 single barrel Solex I believe, and he's running a blue coil and a ballast resistor too. Shame it's driven so little.

My '70 (1673695) had that same gray air cleaner on the single-barrel Solex.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I, too, was a bit put off by the color until I saw the one view from the left rear -- much better: darker and less...electric!

My very early '70 (VIN 1668093, September 8, 1969) also had a gray air filter housing. I smile when I think about some of the "conclusions" on the housing colors I read in a good thread in the U.K. forum: one-barrels are usually gray unless they're early and/or black; two-barrels are usually black unless they're gray; Euro and U.K. colors might have been different from U.S. models, unless the difference is due entirely to the one-versus-two barrel issue! Since the two-barrel only appeared with automatic transmissions in Europe, does that suggest that a Euro 2002A got black and a contemporary Euro 2002 got gray? Forget it -- for now!

And, I, too was ever-so-slightly uncomfortable with the paint around the color sticker. I wouldn't fall over if the original owner -- dead or alive -- were to say, "A few panels, such as the rear panel, were re-painted after minor incidents." Why? There's a bit more orange peel to that rear panel than I recall of the original lacquer.

All of this said, it is a stupendously gorgeous car. And, yes, it is sad that -- for the sake of posterity (or investment value?) -- it cannot be driven more than 200 miles annually!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Steve, it's not about the colour of the air filter housing!
Oh no...  not one bit.

It's all about that door mirror!

The swan-neck mirror was only used up to and including '68.  So how did it end up on such a thoroughly original and unmolested 2002 from '70??
Hmmmmm....

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

Ahh HAA!

Thank you, Professor Anders! And this mirror point is particularly interesting because if in, say, 1975, the original trap mirror has been broken -- when a drunken comrade fell against it, I'm quite certain that's what happened -- it would seem likely that you would wind up with a flag or even a trap mirror, not a swan's neck, which would take some.....some...premeditated planning. Unless you got some bad guidance such as: "All those oldie's had swan's neck mirrors!" Or you had a spare swan’s neck mirror sitting in your garage, from an earlier ‘02 you owned.

File this under Deep Dark Mysteries!

Best regards,

Steve

This car is fantastic! It is about 1 year after my 69 (1666269), has the same gray colored air cleaner, exhaust heat shield and interior console (among other things). The radio in this car is a Becker "Europa" not a "Corona". I don't really like the black seats with the dark blue exterior and carpet. Wonder why BMW didn't just put the brown seats and carpet in them?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

On 8/28/2015 at 8:00 PM, jgerock said:

...I don't really like the black seats with the dark blue exterior and carpet. Wonder why BMW didn't just put the brown seats and carpet in them?

I agree wholeheartedly, Jim!

Best regards,

Steve