• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust Decided it didnt like me anymore...

Matt Ellena

since JR posted three times, i guess this will be a "+3" on the custom system aft of the headers/manifold.  should be under a K for a mandrel stainless system.

or, just got with the IE system from engine all the way back.

had the ansa sport.  sounds cool for about a week, then the drone becomes less pleasing.  

what tracks does the car go on?  with what club?

Just purchased in June so only 1x Autocross and no track days yet!  Still doing the once over and finding the issues LIKE THE EXHAUST! haha.  I went to a exhaust shop in Burbank today and am going to be going a custom set up.  Full custom headers, piping to a high flow magnaflow muffler.  Quoted me $550 which I felt was reasonable.  Would love get the insider info on getting involved with any BMW clubs that do the local Los Angeles tracks like Willowsprings. 

do your homework on the IE setup...there have been many problem related threads...

Thanks for the advice.  Going custom set up!  Then saving for carpet! 

PS - the timing  and overlay of van halen "hot for teacher" is PRICELESS!!!!!!!!

haha!  Thanks!  When I first heard the gopro I kept thinking "this sounds like Hot for Teacher" then I put them together and started laughing. 

great stuff

1st - classic "02" timing on hitting the emergency button quickly THEN finding the "standard": - the frwy place to park, sandwiched between the moving 80 MPH cars and the on ramp; nice

2nd - your girl is a perfect 02 passenger, shows enough concern to give the obligatory look over the  shoulder, giving you some quick feedback and driver validation for your next move

3rd - just loved the unexpected appearance of the dog (who also shows concern by getting a quick look out the back - as if)) who is no doubt sitting on your GF's lap for the car ride

looks like the 210 at one of the Duarte (Pasadena) on ramp's, no? as for exhaust, IE is a bit buggy going in and once its in, and besides I wasn't a fan of the tone; my buddy runs an ansa, nice growl, but go custom if you can, DANCO posted his exhaust pieces some time ago on his first build and that tone was real nice.

Had me laughing out loud with your breakdown of it.  I got some crap from friends telling me not a great place to pull off but in the moment you kinda have to think quickly and it happened in an interchange so I didnt have much time.  Not quite the 210, it was the 118 to 405 interchange on Sunday night. 

I have IE SS on my 74tii w a tii manifold. Started out a bit quiet but one year in has developed a purrfect burble. People will turn heads if you goose it but not if you don't. Cannot comment on install because Ace No. 1 zenwrenchpaul did it! Even though I actually screwed up the order somehow with center vs side exit. Holding up nicely. Far superior to the old header ansa combo which sounded like a Sturgis Rally all by itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mars Attacks!

marsattacks.jpg

The 118 to 405 I know well, drive it every day to work.  YEARS ago I had a 68 that did the same thing.  Got on the 405 north just before the 101 and the exhaust broke just after the exhaust manifold.  That was one loud ride home :)

1975 non-purist driver M42 Turbo, Hurricane a/c, and all sorts of cool stuff

1976 2002 sold, 1970 2002 sold, 1969 1600 sold

The 118 to 405 I know well, drive it every day to work.  YEARS ago I had a 68 that did the same thing.  Got on the 405 north just before the 101 and the exhaust broke just after the exhaust manifold.  That was one loud ride home :)

Is losing your exhaust on the freeway a right of passage for 02 ownership?

On my 1600-2 back in college, my exhaust broke ahead of the resonator while heading up a mountain pass in the middle of nowhere with 3 buddies in the car. Fortunately, i had a roll of wire in the car and was able to tie the exhaust up under the car to drive to the next town. Had to pull into a sketchy muffler shop in a sketchy little town where a toothless guy welded my exhaust back together so I could get over the pass.

Back on topic; I have the IE exhaust, downpipe and shorty header. No real complaints, but it is a bit quiet. The custom system sounds like a good way to go. I might do that eventually, but there are lots of other items on the list ahead of replacing a perfectly good exhaust.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

haha!  yep the good old 118.  When I got back into the car my girlfriend asked if the car will be okay and I told her "oh yeah its going to run no problem just the same as before but... loud and smelly!".  I actually was surprised how quiet it actually was.  I thought it was going to be violent sounding and hurt but I wasnt louder than a Civic with a beer can muffler. 

Is losing your exhaust on the freeway a right of passage for 02 ownership?

On my 1600-2 back in college, my exhaust broke ahead of the resonator while heading up a mountain pass in the middle of nowhere with 3 buddies in the car. Fortunately, i had a roll of wire in the car and was able to tie the exhaust up under the car to drive to the next town. Had to pull into a sketchy muffler shop in a sketchy little town where a toothless guy welded my exhaust back together so I could get over the pass.

Back on topic; I have the IE exhaust, downpipe and shorty header. No real complaints, but it is a bit quiet. The custom system sounds like a good way to go. I might do that eventually, but there are lots of other items on the list ahead of replacing a perfectly good exhaust.

Does it make me official!?! A right of passage for sure. 

OP, the custom system you were quoted $550 on, will it comprise of stainless steel tubing or mild steel tube?

Big difference in exhaust note in my opinion. 

Mild Steel it sounds like.  Im taking it in today.  Ill ask for the stainless option.  If its not crazy expensive Ill go for it but this has been a bit of a budget build for myself at times. 

I bought an ANSA sport muffler and the stock ANSA down pipe and center instead of the Sport center. I'm hoping that it doesn't drone like the sport version does. I haven't installed it yet, so that's not much help for you ;)

I had a stock bmw center section with my Ansa sport muffler. The drone is all in the muffler, not the center section.

2xM3