• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum Door Sill Anyone?

Back in the day when the 02's were new, I never saw one with aluminum over the door sills.

Considering the club meets and the rallies and car shows at Lime Rock, etc., I must have seen hundreds of original cars from 1968 to 1976 years.  Hardly comprehensive, but something that unusual would have stood out, I think.

Regards, Maurice.

Paul, my 72 has them. To my knowledge they came with the car from Vancouver Auto where the car was purchased by the original owner.

I purchased the car from the original owner in 75.

Mike

Edited by joysterm

Paul, my 72 has them. To my knowledge they came with the car from Vancouver Auto where the car was purchased by the original owner.I purchased the car from the original owner in 75.

Really cool!

My car was bought new in Calgary.

Recently I saw an 02 with aluminum rear wheel arch guards. They also may have been a local/regional/national add-on. I'm not really into bling, but some vintage items are allowed IMHO.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I have a strange feeling that my car originally had silver coloured plastic sill guards. Jaymic replaced them with black ones when they did some sill repairs. I think they said that they damaged the originals removing them for the work. I'm not sure, I think they just liked the look of them!!!  

02tii 2751928 (2582)

I'm must add to the above.

Canada has REAL winters most of the time. Gravel/Slush/Ice/Salt. It may have been standard marketing at the time to offer "chip" gaurds and "kick" panels for the Canadian market. ? Maybe?

I'm hoping to hear from somebody else in the world who has these.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

From the 1600/2002 factory accessories catalog:

Original BMW protective strip for door sill.
Decorating and protecting, order two (one for each side).

accsilltrim.jpg

• Thanks 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

John has already posted the photo, but here's the complete page from the ca. 1972 BMW accessories catalogue, showing not only the part number, but also, surrendipitously, the "BMW Chip Protector" also mentioned above!

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-39489500-1437664467_thumb.j

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

The primary problem with them is you have to drill holes in the body to mount them, water and dirt get between them and the body causing rust. Same thing with the rear fender chip guards, they keep the rocks from hitting the paint and chipping it but totally trash the paint underneath because water and dirt get in there and you can't clean it without removing them (I had some back in the mid 70's before I flaired the fenders, when I took them off the paint was trashed).

• Thanks 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Hi Steve, just curious, but does the catalogue show a Petri steering wheel as an option as well. My car has some upgrades that are not common on many of similar models I have come across.

Mike

Edited by joysterm

I've been under my "entrance step mouldings" and the paint is pretty good.  Not great, not bad.   My car doesn't see much water though,  except from washing.  I might lift them again and caulk the screw holes just to be safe.

Same thing with the rear fender chip guards, they keep the rocks from hitting the paint and chipping it but totally trash the paint underneath because water and dirt get in there and you can't clean it without removing them (I had some back in the mid 70's before I flaired the fenders, when I took them off the paint was trashed).

Probably why they didn't catch on.  Also, I have yet to see an 02 with chips specifically on the leading edge of the wheel arch.  Chip guards seem more like bling.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Probably why they didn't catch on.  Also, I have yet to see an 02 with chips specifically on the leading edge of the wheel arch.  Chip guards seem more like bling.

VW Beetles had an optional rock guard for the front of the rear fenders that included a body gasket for the top edge (similar to the pieces for the 2002 bumper over-riders.  Those lower fender areas did get tons of chips.

• Like 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif