• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are my wheels sticking out so much

deschodt

No, but I'll bet you have enough bears and yellowjackets to last a while, right?

t

Don't forget the pissing, Toby; don't forget the pissing....

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 2 months later...

OK. We're 14 posts in and we still haven't learned the ET, or even the size, of the rims. It seems to me we can't begin diagnosing this issue without those ingredients, which are likely cast or stamped into the rim! The ET question has been asked multiple times but I'm certainly not finding a response.

Yes, you are correct. I assumed Rota wheels adn a picture would narrow it down but clearly it does not....I apologize ! Problem is, the reason why you never got a # is that the car is currently 3000 miles away from me - thankfully coming out of resto shortly. I will ask the paint guys if they can send me the ET and other info on the wheel but I can hardly get them to finish painting as it is... All I have on my end is that I bought them new in 07 from Chris Padagas (CJ) as "Rota wheels with the correct offset for a 2002" - make of this what you will (for now) ;-)   Love the look but they've always stuck out of the fender a bit. When I get the car back with me, I will probably research better fitting wheels and mount smaller tires too.

Still, what made me ask initially was that I routinely see pictures on this board of wheels that look *identical* to mine on a car lowered where mine would absolutely rub and shred fenders. 

If you know what those Rotas ET is, great. If not I'll get back to you all soon ;-)  Thx ! 

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

If it's not painted yet now is the time for Turbo flares or Pig Cheeks , I'm just trying to help :)

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Well, I'm still around but, closed the business back in '09. If there is something I can assist with, please let me know.

We had great success with the wheels. There were limited orders with lower offsets and different widths.

As I stated in my pm, give me a call and I can see what we can do.

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Not sure if it helps but here is a picture of my car with 205/50-15 tires, 15x7 Rota RB's with et25 offset and lowered on h&r springs. Rear fenders are rolled and there is no rubbing.

post-35273-0-65142800-1433003378_thumb.j

70 BMW 1600 Malaga & Nevada

And a bunch of other old junk

Just to be clear here... I dropped CJ's name because I found it in the original sales receipt email dating back 2007(!!!) to hopefully clarify what the wheels were. (It seems to have worked based on the post above and CJ's answer...) From the post above I see even 205/50-15 tires with 15x7 Rota RB's with et25 offset fit on his car - I assume that is what my wheels are as well, so there's your ET! Mine are on195s only, 205s were rubbing F/R on bumps. Even so, if I lowered it to the level of the post above, I would see the tires stick outside the fender lip!!!  Very strange... Anyhow, I used the wheels for almost 8 years now, I don't really have anything to complain about, nor am I expecting anything from CJ, except maybe simply confirmation of the offset data for the folks who asked...

I'm just curious as to why I see cars like that one above and many many more that seem to have the same wheels as mine are slammed to the ground, while I'm pretty sure mine would shred fenders (stock fenders but inner lip rolled a bit prior to paint).  I was asking initially if maybe some earlier mod the mechanic did to my car might have increased the track and pushed the wheels outwards?

Apparently one possibility is "e21 trailing arms can be put on our cars for better rear brakes, but they are about 5mm wider on each side" - that possible because I remember the mechanic saying something about fitting a donor's car rear brakes which were better! At the time I was not in a position to keep track of what he did (new baby, no sleep, and he kept the car for 6 months) so I cannot tell. When I get the car back here with me, I'll drop it off at A1 in San Rafael (Delia work there? another name dropping ;-) to investigate what's what and what I can do to lower it from its "stork" position - I imagine it will involve different wheels... Which is a bummer as I love the look of those... But if they fit normally, I can at least sell them in with an honest description and ask the right questions for future wheel fitment !  Thanks, and sorry again for the delayed reply ! 

Edited by deschodt

From CJs comments, and comparing pics - I'm 90% confident your Rotas are NOT the common 15x7 et25 model. Your outer lips are wider...

If they're 7", I'd guess et0-et10, or maybe they're even a 15x8 wheel. Would fit a flared car or maybe with pulled fenders.

Suprised you don't have a worse problem in front - as the rear can usually fit a lower offset wheel better than the front can. Then again you may have staggered/different offsets going on.

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Mine are the same but I found the offset is et20 which is not correct, i.e. sti king out too much.

I'm upgrading the suspension and if it runs a lot (it does now with rolled fenders) I need to consider different tires (195/50/15 now) or change the rims.

You might be the same as that picture looks exactly like mine.

post-48330-0-12870500-1433121774_thumb.j

Mine are the same but I found the offset is et20 which is not correct, i.e. sti king out too much. I'm upgrading the suspension and if it runs a lot (it does now with rolled fenders) I need to consider different tires (195/50/15 now) or change the rims. You might be the same as that picture looks exactly like mine.

Yes, that's pretty much what my car looks like - you can tell that any drop will result in some interference...  The paint guys have not returned my call, so maybe I have the wrong wheels, maybe the wrong rear brakes, maybe both ;-)  Good to know, in a month or so I'll pop back and bug you guys with suggestions for wheels that fit  and look period correct on 185s (going smaller) !  (knock yourself out now if you want, I'll take notes ;-)

Good to know, in a month or so I'll pop back and bug you guys with suggestions for wheels that fit  and look period correct on 185s (going smaller) !  (knock yourself out now if you want, I'll take notes ;-)

while you are waiting, just read the long wheel fitment thread.....

2xM3