• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOTALLY Unexpected 02 sighting in Japan today...

2002Targa

So,

after being here for two months...I've seen some pretty cool new BMWs that you don't see in the States.  Lots of VERY nice old school Mini's running around.  Me and some buds went "touristing" on a train from Atsugi to Hakone to ride the cable cars.  I was talking to one of my friends and glanced out the window and screamed "HOLY SHIT"!!!!!!  They all looked at me kind of funny...not just my friends, but everyone on the traincar.

post-32031-0-58709500-1418469840_thumb.j

I tried explaining why I was so excited to see an old car, but they just didn't get it.

TK

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa

Very cool! You are a certified 02 nutcase for sure :D! I had a similar experience in Thailand once, while on a bus...half the passengers turned to look at me as I was yelling at my buddy to wake up because there was a siennabraun 02 on the side of the road. Couldn't get the driver to stop though. Some folks just don't get it!!

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

Thanks man, that looks to be an original turbo judging by the exhaust pipe diameter, stripes, and other exterior cues such as the bumper and badges. I bet you are having a great trip. It must be wild being in Japan.

Peter

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

Good eyes...same thing happened to me in Nicaragua--riding down the Pan American highway in the city of Rivas I spotted an Agave roundie in a front yard...and eight years later on another trip it was still there. Couldn't get our bus driver to stop either, but I did note it was a '72 and a US spec car.  Guess the owner is restoring it on "tiempo Nica" (Nicaraguan time). 

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I had a simillar experience in LA bythe brewery ( big chimney by the freeway ) but it was a Mk I Lotus Cortina , driving down the street I shit it ! then my buddy who lived by the chimney said that's his daily driver , parks out almost on the street ! a year later it disappeared.

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

I was at Mooneyes in Norwalk on Thursday & the owner , who lives in Japan was telling me his friend has an 02 I'll see if it's the same car 

Edited by LimeySteve

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

There is contention that Japan got molded flares on the turbo. Some reg of some sort....

Cheers,

I have read that and seen some pics (2002ad For sale section) but never seen one in person (that had the molded in flares).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

You do honor to us all, TK-san.

Seats are not original but I have little doubt this is the real deal. Yes, Japanese-import turbos did not have visible fasteners on the flares.

And a sunroof, no less! Please don't tell me it was an electric one (no hand crank on ceiling)!

Thanks for being a fanatic! And thanks especially for sharing!

Best,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)