• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just Bought A Rust-Free Bavaria, 49K, For Four Grand

thehackmechanic

Excellent find--and a stick too!  BTW that's the same tobacco vinyl that was used in the 2002s of that vintage, altho the waffle pattern in the center is different.  Great find--sounds like the perfect car to drive to Vintage in 2014--marvellous highway cruiser.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Larry my friend, the car was on a lift so I could thoroughly inspect not only the rockers but the undercarriage. Not only did I not find a rust hole anywhere on the car, I did not find a rust BUBBLE anywhere on the car. There was only minor surface corrosion on a few patches of the floor and frame rails that'd clean right off with a Scotch Brite wheel.

Edited by thehackmechanic

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

I have a box of bavaria interior bits!  seeing the pictures of the interior reminded me what they were.  we had one when i was a kid.  dad bought 2 in the spring of '83, one rusted and one burned.  he moved the good bits from the ruste done over to the burned one.  I got to remove the remaining interior pieces form the rusted one, and they are now in the box in my garage.

He had it completed 3 days before we left for O'fest in COlorado Springs (driving from Toronto).  the car earned the nickname "puff" not only because it had previously burned, but also because every time we stopped it would emit a large cloud of oil smoke from under the hood.  upon arriving at o'fest, out ritual of opening the hood to allow the smoke to clear was witnessed by Mr Al Melton, who came over and chastised us for our crappy wheels, pointed out the bit that was missing and causing the smoke, and became a friend of the family.

He had the nicest 3.0L around.

Jon

Edited by jp02ti

Impressive.  

I wish I could claim to be as lucky as this when I made my 2002 purchase.  What a deal!  If you decide in the next 3 months that buying a great low-rust car thousands of bucks below market value just isn't your idea of a good time, call me and I'll complete the buy.

You know, in case you don't want to deal with such burdens. ;-)  Just let me know (he said only half-jokingly...wait, no I'm dead serious).

Also, liked the book.  Congrats on that too.

Rob, you are a lucky dog with that find!! Bavarias have been on my radar for a couple of years now, and that one looks really nice! Have fun!

Bob

Rob, you are a lucky dog with that find!! Bavarias have been on my radar for a couple of years now, and that one looks really nice! Have fun!

Bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

Congratulations Rob. My wife loved the discussion in Memoirs regarding "fleet size." I came really close to buying Andy Stuckey's beautiful '73 Bavaria last month. The price really made the deal too good to pass up but I'm at ten cars myself and didn't savor the idea she proposed, that I might have to live in one of them!

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Like all US-spec Bavarias (I think), the car DOES have a/c. The path to making it work, and blow cold, is identical to that in an '02, namely:

--heave the York compressor in favor of a Sanden

--use a new modern parallel flow condenser

--make new hoses to replace the original leaky ones

However, this car is so original that I'm going to need to think about that approach.

One thing at a time. As the Wicked Witch said to Dorothy, "these things must be done CAREFULLY..."

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

I'm jealous.  On many levels.  

Have fun with it.  Someone brought up a good point - what do you drive to Vintage?  You owe the tii a trip to it (or is it the other way around?)  Or do you take the new car...there are fewer of them at Vintage.  But can you debug it in time?  

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Excellent find--and a stick too!  BTW that's the same tobacco vinyl that was used in the 2002s of that vintage, altho the waffle pattern in the center is different.  Great find--sounds like the perfect car to drive to Vintage in 2014--marvelous highway cruiser.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Delicately. Crap. Can't believe I got that wrong!