• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sagging In The Rear

devotion

Is it sagging on the driver's side?  Perhaps there was a, shall we say, hefty-sized PO driver?  That will evenually lead to spring sagging.  

You might also take a look at the upper spring mounts (the rubber ones) in the back.  They come in three thicknesses, denoted by concave dots in the rubber.  Make sure the mounts have the same number of dots on both sides.  A PO may have replaced one, not realizing that different thicknesses were available.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

When we jack the rear of the car up, then lay it back down, it sits level...after driving for a while, it sags a couple inches on one side.

I have read several threads lately suggesting using silicone grease to install trailing arm bushings.  As I understand it they are a sort of rubber 'torsion bushing', not meant to spin in their mounts.  This is why it is important to tighten their through bolts with weight on the suspension, which sets neutral torsion at rest.  Then the rubber twists/returns with trailing arm rotation.  Could it be that the bushing is twisting/slipping under stress and then not returning on that side.  When you jack the car up it gets spun back "up" until after a few good jounces on the road.  Slipping/sticking combination due to greasy bushings?  Just a guess.  

I plan on trying slightly soapy alcohol mix when I put my bushings in... just in case.

After checking for the one, two or three dot upper spacer, measure height of both springs while the car is on ground.    If factory paint codes are still present on springs, verify they match.  Refer to blue factory manual for the color/coil rating.

74 tii, vin 2780001, Sahara, 5 spd. Built 10/17/73, delivered to BMW internal car pool, 11/14/73. Imported to US ??/??/??.

i'm sagging in the rear too...

Just on one side?

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.