• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where To Lube Heater Fan

Cru Jones

So my heater fan routinely makes the most annoying high pitched sound that's only remedied by turning it off. I've been told that you can lube the fan, but am struggling to find the exact spot to point my Tri-Flow's nozzle to lube. Anyone have a good picture showing where exactly to lube it? I've searched and only found vague references, not an actual picture showing where. Thanks.

Edited by Cru Jones

about the best you can hope for is to dribble a drop or two of oil along a length of wire that you place as best as possible at the base of the shaft.  point the wire and look to ensure you are locating properly then add a drop or two on the wire and watch it roll down the wire to the target.  The motor has bushings and not ball bearings, btw.  i don't recall if the lower bushing is accessable through the heater box opening.  using a sprayer will merely act as an oil coating for everything in the vicinity. 

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

using a sprayer will merely act as an oil coating for everything in the vicinity

... and I hate it when that happens!

If yours is out of the car, you can reach right in there to lube it and turn it so gravity helps it run into the bushing. It is a little trickier if it is in the car.

I made an extension by heating the end of an awl with a lighter and opening the ends of a straw enough to make a connection.

002.jpg

The very end has been heated and bent.

004.jpg

I reached in from the driver's side and gave the bushing a quick little shot of oil up from below (bottom arrow) and then turned the fan on right away. I also put a drip on top (top arrow) where you lubed yours. It is a little quieter now and has not made the squeal-of-death since... (did it two days ago).

069.jpg

It's usually the upper bearing (bushing) at the brush end that causes the squeal, 'cause it's more exposed to weather--especially if the plastic motor cover is missing.  The lower (fan end) bushing is nearly impossible to reach with the motor installed, but the good news is that it's fed lubricant by a felt washer that surrounds both bushing and armature and is protected from weather.  

But...if you have the heater out of the car, I'd delve into that lower bushing and really saturate the felt with medium weight oil (something like 3-in-1--not WD40).  And if you're really paranoid, you can rig a small plastic tube to lead from the felt bushing to a convenient location outside the motor housing so you can give it a drip of oil every year or so...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

And if you're really paranoid, you can rig a small plastic tube to lead from the felt bushing to a convenient location outside the motor housing so you can give it a drip of oil every year or so...

Thank you, this will definitely be part of my heater box rebuild. 

I would like to see/have one of those motor covers for my poor little heater fan out there in the elements...

Tom

Thank you, this will definitely be part of my heater box rebuild. 

I would like to see/have one of those motor covers for my poor little heater fan out there in the elements...

Tom

I believe there were two types of electric motor covers (caps) depending on the year of the car. 

I transferred the small cap from my old 73tii fan motor to a new Bosch (spanish-made) motor

22009051.jpg

The older cars used this larger protective cover

IMG_8817_zps4c0ea54e.jpg

IMG_8812_zpsc84eb472.jpg

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 10 years later...

just had a bit of noise with my heater running in levels 1 and 2 the other day and i fixed it by spraying some fuchs very high temp grease onto the top bearing and now all is well

thumbnail_IMG_2650.jpg

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

If that bearing is exposed to the air flow, the use of grease if not a good idea.  Dust in the air will gum up the works, not to mention the grease turning into grinding compound.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.