• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Cut Out On Freeway And Won't Restart

golf73

Hey Andrew!  A little cap help here, please???   ;)

Makes perfect sense that it's a Bug cap- we effectively have a Bug dizzy with a different drive and curves.

Bosch made 'em all back in the day.  These days, you can still get Bug castings, so it's quite possible

that Ireland starts with a Bug casting, and makes it into a 2002 distributor.

Interesting that you didn't get any spark.  If it was mine, I'd go to points at this point <sorry> and see what happened.

The other thing you can try is to meter the voltage at the coil while you spin the dizzy.  If you turn it slowly, it should 

switch the primary side on and off.  As you turn it, you should see 12v- 0v- 12v- 0v across the primary side of the coil.

It'll be firing the coil, too, so be careful doing this.  If it doesn't switch power, and it has power and ground, then either the

magnet's not seated right (I've had this happen too) or the module's fried.  I've done that, too...

Oh, you'll need to ground the dizzy solidly when you do this!

hth

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well i seemed to have had a coil that was giving me resistance numbers when checking the primary and secondary using a multimeter, then i tried TobyB's advice and didn't see any spark. i tried reading the coil again with the multimeter and got nothing at all.

now i'm going to replace it all.

re: the ireland distributor cap - i called to see which cap they use on it (the black one they show on their website picture). he says they use OEM. I ask can you please give me the part number? he goes and checks and says its 03001.  i ask if it's a bosch? - he says yes.

if you look at their site, they don't even sell that one separately - they only show the 03010 and the 03012! i scoured the interwebs for the 03001 and it's listed for the common air cooled VW's (Typ 1 - 3). how strange...

The exact problem I had and all along it was the tach wire

70 BMW 1600 Malaga & Nevada

And a bunch of other old junk

Another thing it can be is a broken tab on the back of your gauge cluster for the tach wire. That would also cause that exact problem. Here is a picture of a broken tab that I had to repair.

post-35273-0-89636100-1381980559_thumb.j

70 BMW 1600 Malaga & Nevada

And a bunch of other old junk

I know that the distributor cap is for an aircooled VW distributor, but thank you for the additional detail. I'll order one. I'm also getting some tii points/condenser, a rotor, and finally getting a haynes manual for the 02. I'm not buying a pertronix until i figure out why it's blowing out. when i asked which e-ignition unit they use, ireland wouldn't reveal which brand but stated it's like the pertronix but has same function and fit, which i already knew. i asked which other ignition parts can be used and was told that i could use pertronix 1847A, rotor 04008, 04004 or 040033 "same as any BMW tii distributor", and points etc "same ones for a tii"

• 2 weeks later...

is one rotor better than the other? 04003, 04004, 04008? also not sure if i should get another blue coil (0 221 119 027) or go to the red coil with ballast resistor? when i search for tii ignition parts on different parts suppliers sites, i get different listings and it's confusing. i want to make sure i get all the right parts for this distributor.

here's my list from autohausaz.com that i plan on buying:post-34953-0-11722900-1383504586_thumb.j

plus: 01 011 bosch contact set/points

Edited by golf73

The wire to the tach can go from either the coil (paired with wire from dizzy) or from the dizzy connection (paired with wire to coil). I'm still curious about the cap fitting. The normal way to check for spark is to attach plug to fitting on coil or plug wire, using rubber handled pliers hold wire so plug tip touches a ground and turn over engine.

is one rotor better than the other?

I have been curious about this too.

The one on the left came in a vacuum advance dizzy I bought and the other in a mechanical 002 model.

I know there is resistance built into some, but don't really understand all this.  Not trying to add confusion to your topic, just another angle from which to discuss... or not.

061.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

The vacuum advance rotor needs more "contact to post" width because the spark advance can be 40+ crankshaft degrees under full manifold vacuum advance and rpm > the max mech advance rpm.  The narrow contact may be too far from the post in the cap and misfire or spark jump to the adjacent post..

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

• 3 weeks later...

is the Ireland distributor mechanical advance? I previously had the stock distributor. With the emissions stuff taken off and the Ireland distributor in place would the correct rotor be the one with the smaller contact area? Is it OK to use an unballasted blue coil with stock contact points in place of the POS Pertronix clone ?

I recently bought the Mechanical advance IE Tii distributor. I never could get it to work . NO spark. I tried everything after 2 of the "ignitor petronix knock offs" two of the magnetic donuts I gave up. There was no reason this should not work in my car but it doesn't. Im sending it back and appreciate my points in a whole new way. I have installed the name brand pertronix many times before and never had an issue.

Edited by simonr