• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood Lock (I Don't Understand It)

1972-2002

On 8/29/2013 at 2:22 PM, GreenSwede said:

I was wrong. The roller goes down when locked. Is your ramp installed the right way? Leaning upwards to the back of the car? 

Pics, in order of appearance - open, closed and ramp. Left side.

post-40090-0-74872600-1377811198_thumb.j

post-40090-0-57204400-1377811222_thumb.j

post-40090-0-23091000-1377811246_thumb.j

Top picture...is the FRONT of the car on the LEFT?

Also, which way does the cable go on the pulley?  Does it go from FRONT to REAR (clockwise if looking at it from the driver's/left side)?

Yo. Correct.

The roller goes down when locked- any year, any style, any gadget.

The difference is about the lever overneath the kick panel. Roundies -AFAIcan tell- have a drag-to-lock-lever. Squaries have a push-to-lock-lever, but I don't know if there are certain overlaps between the eras.

h

1 hour ago, otisdog said:

We have just witnessed the rare birth of a word!

overneath. Something that is above something else in which one is not able to see it due to the fact that it is covered by the object that is underneath it but it is above our sight.Jul 21, 2019

• Like 5

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

2 hours ago, otisdog said:

We have just witnessed the rare birth of a word!

Note: Hen’s English is still 50 times better than my German.

Just saying... ?

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 8/29/2013 at 12:36 PM, mlytle said:

"stare at it for a while. it will become apparent."

This is my new favorite phrase. Going to have to get this on all my work shirts. Thank you. :)

• Haha 3

Shad

'70 2002 #671 "Bimmerschmitt"

'70 2002 BADUDA aka 'Wall Art'

'72 2002 #672 Sold

'73 2002 Sold

'79 528i Daily Driver (future ETC Clone)

8 hours ago, Shad said:

This is my new favorite phrase. Going to have to get this on all my work shirts. Thank you. :)

the older i get, the longer i have to stare before anything becomes apparent.

i stared at a medium case diff from e30m3 yesterday for a good hour before it became apparent that i couldn't press a new bushing into the cover without taking the cover off. ?

sometimes a good IPA helps.  or not.....?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2xM3

• 4 years later...

has this been solved ? 

i am also struggling with the same issue , cannot get the ends of my hood my to latch , the mechanism moves in the other direction while the center hook latches correctly  , i a little confused how to get this fixed .

any tips ?

On 2/21/2024 at 1:11 AM, dino_rox said:

has this been solved ? 

i am also struggling with the same issue , cannot get the ends of my hood my to latch , the mechanism moves in the other direction while the center hook latches correctly  , i a little confused how to get this fixed .

any tips ?

With the hood open ( cable slackened) - the outboard ends with the rollers should be facing forward and sit approximately horizontal. The center catch should have its point facing up and tilted very slightly forward.

When you rotate the lever inside the car, it tightens the cable - the outboard ends with the rollers pointed forward rotate downwards (engaging the angle plates on the outer rear hood) , and the center catch also rotates up and forward to grab the center hood.

My 76er is a ‘push down & forward’ to lock set-up, since that’s the lever orientation RealOEM shows in their illustration (for all models BTW).

IMG_2058.jpeg

IMG_2057.jpeg

Edited by visionaut
  • Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

2 minutes ago, visionaut said:

With the hood open ( cable slackened) - the outboard ends with the rollers should be facing forward and sit approximately horizontal. The center catch should have its point facing up and tilted very slightly forward.

When you rotate the lever inside the car, it tightens the cable - the outboard ends with the rollers pointed forward rotate downwards (engaging the angle plates on the outer rear hood) , and the center catch also rotates up and forward to grab the center hood.

My 76er is a ‘push down & forward’ to lock set-up, since that’s the lever orientation RealOEM shows in their illustration (for all models BTW).

IMG_2058.jpeg

IMG_2057.jpeg

so the rollers on the end dont go up the ramp of the bracket ? 

IMG_4586.jpg