• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headliner Install

badblueheeler

Good Luch with your search, I am hoping to tackle this project myself and wondering if there is a article or vid for DIY? The whole interior is going to get gutted and hope to do it all at once. Now I need to juggle the budget to put estys awesome finishing touch on the cabin, salt and pepper on mine please.............

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

• 1 month later...

I have the same question here in Salt Lake City. My car has a sunroof so it is slightly more complicated and I don't know how to go about finding the right shop.

1976 2002 Fjord Blue

2013 750iLX Alpine White

2008 Porsche Boxster Meteor Gray

I bought my headliner through Blunt several months ago and ultimately decided to pay to have it intalled. my guy was highly recommended by a friend with a 65 mustang. he did the install in a few hours and it looked amazing. all for $175.00.

here's the link to clay's write up   http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/126157-headliner-installation/

good luck!

'72 Malaga 23Mar1972

'72 Malaga 11Jul1972
'09 Impreza
'11 Specialized hybrid

C'mon folks, if I can install a new headliner in a bowl shaped VW Beetle, you can do a flat-roof BMW.  I'm going to install a new headliner eventually in my 69 (with sunroof) and even have the little binder clips saved up.

Clay Weiland, Mike Pugh and many others have showed us great pics and procedures. Get the material, lay it out in the sun, remove the interior stuff and have at it.

DSC_0778.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

All the DIYs I have read/seen indicate the front and rear glass has to be removed...am I understanding this correctly?  I will be replacing the headliner in my 02 in the near future....no sunroof. 

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Here are a few pics of my sunroof headliner install. You can do this yourself. I used 3M spray 90 sprayed into a cup and brushed on. A sunroof car is actually easier in some ways. Not as many rods to deal with only two in the rear. The tricky part are the corners of the sunroof opening after cutting an "X" in the middle of the opening. A heat gun and some stretching of the material are required to get the corners right. The contact cement recommended by some people didn't work as well as the 3m stuff. The waiting for both sides to tack up with the contact cement takes too long. This glue sets fast and holds strong. You need some big file clips for the front and sides of the sunroof opening as the roof is much thicker here then at the edges. Thg rear part you can use the medium clips. The rest is about 200 medium clips and a couple of dozen small ones for the tight curves

post-39527-0-25635700-1381163553_thumb.j

post-39527-0-37365000-1381163605_thumb.j

post-39527-0-42979200-1381163633_thumb.j

post-39527-0-46888500-1381163692_thumb.j

post-39527-0-44566000-1381163726_thumb.j

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

We actually have trees that grow here even though we're in NYC.  After Sandy last year I had plenty of stuff to cut.  I have to tell you that Husky saw is tough. A lot of people like Stihl but makes a good saw. Nice to have some "implements of destruction" around the house.   Its a 450 model with an 18" blade.   After I got done here I went out to help the neighbors and the blade is still sharp.  Just can't get enough of the way that thing powers through a tree!  Talk about cheap thrills.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

A long time ago I had a place called Pacific Auto Trim in Vancouver do the headliner in my VW. They did a great job.  We used to send all our cars that needed any sort of upholstery or convertible top repair there and always had good results.  They have been in the business a very long time, I would call and talk to them and feel them out. 

Edited by turbophil

Mine was OEM from Blunt and it's stitching was fine. The loops for the rods were stitched and they did not come apart. I had to slice open the loop on each side to get out some wrinkles but everything worked out fine. Having to cut it like this is normal and maybe if you didn't and you stretched it hard enough you could get it to come apart at the seam. I cut through the vinyl at the top of the loop not the bottom part with the stitching is. Also important.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318