• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric Fuel Pump Installation Instructions?

Hokie09

Picking up on an old thread here . . .

My '75 has a Weber 38/38 with a fuel return line back to the tank, and a Carter 4070 mounted in the trunk, almost identical to the way sislane depicts it:

Sislane Carter Pump.png

The Carter is *noisy* and it can be heard and felt even when the engine is running.  Even though there are rubber vibration bushings that somewhat isolate it from the chassis, there is a constant background din that is fatiguing.  I was considering going back to a mechanical pump until I just recently learned about Pierburg electric pumps like this one:

Pierburg Fuel Pump.png

A couple of people have said the Pierburgs are much quieter than the Carters, and deliver the correct balance of high volume and low pressure a Weber 38/38 would prefer.

QUESTION:  Does anyone here have experience whether a Pierburg electric is better be mounted in the trunk near the fuel tank so it can push the fuel forward to the engine, or instead whether a Pierburg electric works just as well mounted under the hood to pull fuel up to the engine from the tank, as in the way 2002cool2 depicts it?

2002Cool2 Pierburg Fuel Pump.png

Sislane Carter Pump.webp

Be sure to incorporate a inertia switch in the cricut to cut power to the pump in case of a accident you can get one out of a wrecking yard off pretty much any f/i ford product or through e-bay or amazon.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

• 1 month later...

I see many comments around trunk mounting and have just started installing mine there. The only concern I have is having the pump connections (potential spark source??) In a sealed vessel (trunk) with the gas tank and say any emitted vapors?

Am I worrying about nothing?
Thanks
Sam

image.jpg

2022 Defender 110 30th Edition

1976 BMW 2002 - Evolving...

13 minutes ago, 2002iii said:

That's why I mounted my fuel pump underneath the car and used the metal return line instead of the plastic one in the passenger compartment. Don't want to get sick off of gas fumes and crash your 2002.

Thanks. I was far more worried about blowing myself up! :)

For a explosion to occur in your trunk you need to have at least 1.4 % to be gas vapor by volume, I don't know but would guess a 02trunk to be around 10 to 15 cu/ft so you'd need about 1.4 to 2 cu/ft of gas vapor to be present for the lowest level explosion to occur,  you'd be stunk out way before that point.  

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Sam you have a trunk mounted battery already. There are a 100 other potential spark sources besides the fuel pump. It will be fine. I did mount a inertia fuel cutoff switch next to the fuel pump so in an accident the fuel pump is cutoff.

• Like 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

6 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

Sam you have a trunk mounted battery already. There are a 100 other potential spark sources besides the fuel pump. It will be fine. I did mount a inertia fuel cutoff switch next to the fuel pump so in an accident the fuel pump is cutoff.

I agree. (And think about it every time I hook the terminals up ? )

I did just receive one initial cut off switch but I’m concerned at how easily it trips and am convinced that any railroad crossing would kill my fuel pump.
I’m going to go ahead and install without but then add in the recommended Ford switch as soon as I can find one. 

Hotwin First Inertia Switch Vehicle Crash Sensor Standard Ignition Electric Fuel Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RBK4873/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_kEJ6FbFYKJY64?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

18 hours ago, 2002iii said:

used the metal return line instead of the plastic one in the passenger compartment.

I would be concerned about using the "45 year-old, brittle, plastic" gas line running through the passenger compartment with even a low-pressure "pusher" fuel pump.  It's okay for the stock "sucker" pump in the engine compartment, since it would only suck air if it cracked....not spit gas.  Blowing up the trunk is one thing....blowing up the passenger compartment would ruin your day!

• Like 1