• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric Fuel Pump Installation Instructions?

Hokie09

You do not want to keep your mechanical pump.  A number of suppliers sell mech. fuel pump block off plates.  That is a very interesting mech. fuel pump, I suspect you may have a rod length issue (or something else pertaining to that particular pump).

Another very helpful thread pertaining to pretty much the same thing.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/151709-electric-fuel-pump-location/

I very recently replumbed my Carter rotary fuel pump install with hard 5/16" line.  The previous rubber line had a kink in it.  This pump has an output of around 4psi and is powered by a dedicated line back to the ignition switch.  FWIR, the Facet pump has not had a good reputation over the years. When installing an electric pump one should also pay attention as the what style pump it is (puller or pusher) in relation to its location. Obviously pumps installed next the the tank should be of the pusher variety.

post-36158-0-65847900-1405294683_thumb.j

Edited by nbcbird

and is powered by a dedicated line back to the ignition switch.  

that is not a good way to power a fuel  pump....or anything else.   you do not want to increase current draw through the ignition switch.

fuel pump should be on separate fuse direct to battery.  use a relay triggered by the ignition switch to turn the pump on.   

2xM3

that is good, but you need to know the source of the power you are getting before the fuse.  if it is ignition switched, then it is coming through the ignition switch as there are no relays in the car stock for that.  i would rewire to use a relay and power direct from battery source.

2xM3

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

I haven't installed an electric pump...but thought about it many times.

I would install the pusher pump and filter in the same location as the Tii pump just forward of the fuel tank, and use the metal return line under the car as the supply line to a second filter mounted near the battery/radiator (also like a Tii filter).

I would then cap of the fuel return spigot on the tank, and thread a 12 gauge wire through the plastic supply line (running through the car) from the firewall to the tank area. Connect this power lead to the electric pump and ground the pump locally.

Then, mount a 30A relay on the firewall with the #87 terminal connected to the 12AWG wire that goes to the pump. Connect the #30 relay terminal directly to the battery through a fuse. Ground the #85 relay terminal, and connect the #86 terminal to the ignition source (fuse #12), or through a safety switch.

This is just an armchair idea....has anyone actually done this?

In  the for what it is worth category, i am about to put in a carter rotary with holley pressure regulator and a painless 30131 wiring harness.  The only part that I am worried about is the safety cutoff.  I will look into the Pegasus oil pressure option.   I will let you know how it goes.  I am going to mount it in front of the tank like others have, seems like a good out of the way place, and keeps the connections external just in case of a problem. 

Regards

M

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002