• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warning: New Weber 32/36 From Redine

Chamoix

CD's prescription includes plugging the secondary enrichment hole. It worked like a charm on my "bone stock". I think that is true of the vast majority of those who have used it.

This is a quote from CD:

"PLUG THE SECONDARY ENRICHMENT HOLE AT THE TOP OF THE CARB AS MY DIAGRAM SHOWS . DON'T ASK WHY- JUST DO IT AND SEE THE HUGE DIFFERANCE IN ACCURATE FUEL METERING THROUGH OUT ALL RPM AND THROTTLE OPENINGS."

Rob S
'69 2002; '04 330i ZHP; 2018 X1; 2014 535i; 2017 340i

This is a quote from CD:

"PLUG THE SECONDARY ENRICHMENT HOLE AT THE TOP OF THE CARB AS MY DIAGRAM SHOWS . DON'T ASK WHY- JUST DO IT AND SEE THE HUGE DIFFERANCE IN ACCURATE FUEL METERING THROUGH OUT ALL RPM AND THROTTLE OPENINGS."

Rumor has it CD is gone off the board, if so that sucks nasty Donkey balls, learned more from him just reading his posts, wish I had of interacted with him more, a treasure chest of knowlege only years of wrenchin o2 beasts can provide

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

I first rebuilt the 32/36 that was on my 74 when I bought it hoping it would live. This began my education period in the 2002 experience.I have installed without messin with - many webers as provided from Clifford Perf. used on my inline fetish both Ford and GM.Not knowing that they were already hand messged by Clifford.Samething goes for Kormans and Irelands. I just assumed they were just marking them up to an inflated price over the baseline out of the box from Redline and Carbs Unlimited etc. But after a long coversation with Carl at Korman he filled me in on what they do to the 32/36 to run on your paticular ride what ever kind of BMW your working on.They drill a hole in it somewhere-they ask where you live to get the altitude right - and what youve done to hop up your motor. Pistons -cam - headers etc.You pay them a couple hundred over the plane jane and they send it to you.

Mine just screemed.Ran great.I'm now 2 years later , rebuildding  my motor and 45dcoes are the setup of choice .With help from the whos who of this forum.C.D. - Bob Breed - Carl at Korman - Jeremy at Ireland - and the folks at Pierce manifold were I got everything to redo eveything inside the 45's and I mean everything.Unless you have lived with the Weber all your life and worked extensiveley with it - even then as I have been Informed By Jim Ingeleese while talking to him- " Ill have to run and see what it needs. "  I have a Wego AFR fron Daytona Sensors with data log function to hook up to my Stahl hedder to help me and my cell phone to call in the Calvery.

Catman

I did the things yesterday no one wanted to -

So I could do the things today no one else can afford.

• 1 month later...

I am wrestling with jetting on my Inkagangster's 32/36 with the quick link.  I have a 60 idle on the primary side along with a 145 air corrector and 140 main. Secondary 50 idle, 170 air and 140 main.  Car runs like a bat out of hell but is too rich now as I am getting rotten gas mileage with lots of unburned hydrocarbons according to my nose..  One other thing is fuel leaking out onto the intake manifold leaving a perpetual puddle there. 

I gave the carb a very thorough rebuild, used the base insulator and gaskets on both sides, set the float level very carefully.  I just ordered 57, 55, 52 and 50 idle jets for the primary side.  I have read that rule of thumb is you should be about two turns out on the idle mixture adjustment.  I am currently about one turn out.  A sign of being too rich. I know this idle circuit has a great effect o low speed running so I will go down in size till I hit the two turns out adjustment and see how it runs.  Has anyone had the fuel leak problem and is it the vent hole in the side of the carb spilling over during hard turns?  Searched this pretty well and used Ryantii's jetting prescription with the quick link and it seemed to work great except for the above problems.   

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Sounds like you need to set the float level, it may very well be too high... Pierce Manifolds sells the float gauges for both the plastic and brass versions. Or you can measure it yourself as I do when the gauge isn't handy.

HTH

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

In the past before I learned to dial carbs myself I've used Carl Nelson's (La Jolla Independent BMW Seevice/BimmerDoc.com) jetting prescription as a baseline. Ran smooth, eliminated that dreaded flat spot between primary and secondary, even ran clean enough to pass smog at the time.

http://www.bayarea02.com/features/carburetor/carl_nel.html

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

I'm having almost this exact problem. I have the 32/36 with the Synch-link. I did my own Rx (Can't remember the exact jets I used but I knoww it wasn't the one used by a lot of people here) and am getting gas on the filter and the nice petrol smell in the cab. Like yours mine pulls great and is using a bit more gas than it should. I would take it apart and rejet till correct except we are in the middle of selling the house and I can't right now.

Very interested in your final solution.

Also: What elevation are you at, and rough average temp this season?

Yes, there WAS skin on my knuckles before I started the repair...