• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warning: New Weber 32/36 From Redine

Chamoix

I bought a new Weber 32/36 DGAV for my car late last year and have been struggling to get it dialed in ever since. Decided today to open it up to see what jets were in it (I know, I know, I should have done that before installing, or at the very least, long before now). I was surprised that the jets were way off from c.d.'s recommendations and were barely screwed into their seats, In addition, the screws holding the top on were barely tight as well. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, but can't imagine that it won't help to have everything screwed down tight. Just thought I pass on my experience with a new carb from Redline.

Edited by Chamoix

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter

No one to blame but yourself. Plenty of cars use weber carbs, and it is up to you to make sure the jets are what you need for your OWN car. Every engine is different. The jets not being seated properly is crappy, but they probably assemble more of them each day then you can count and one or two are sure to be off.

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

More or less. Unless if it specifically says that it is a "bolt on without further modification or adjustment" it should require some tuning. 

People want to just smack a carb on and have it work perfectly, but that is simply never the case. Even when a company says it is "tuned for your car" they truly can never make a carb that is perfect for your exact car without actually having your car. 

Now, If you ordered the carb from redline and it was advertised as working on your 02 without further adjustment, then you have all the right in the world to complain. If not though, then you simply have to tighten the few jets there are and do a little work to get it working exactly the way you want it. If the jets are WAYYY off size and it was advertised as working out of the box, they should supply you with the correct jets.

I have bought carbs for motorcycles advertised as being bolt ons, when they usually need jets half the size as whats provided. They will "work" but they are NOT working as well as they should be by any stretch of the imagination until you do some work. 

A bunch of Bikes...

''Just bolt it on and go'' is the same as ''Its only a 10 minute job'', both only exist in the mind of unicorns.

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

Or just get an exhaust shop to weld in a bung for a wideband AFR, get a reader, buy yourself a book on weber carbs and learn to tune them. You will get damn near spot on for the majority of driving that YOU do, and you will forever be able to closely monitor a very important aspect of your vehicle. 

A bunch of Bikes...

Tandmere,

A revered member named c.d.eisel has been posting his perscription for a base jetting set up on this forum for years.  I will save him the trouble of having to do it yet again by posting it here -

Primary barrel - Idle adjust  -  60

main           -   140

air correct. -   145

Secondary        Idle adjust   -  55

main            -  170

air correct    -  175

If you do a forum search on "Weber 32/36 jets" you can spend an afternoon reading folks opinions on the subject of the perfect combination going back years.  Some of the more sophiticated carb guys have debated modifications to this formula based on mods to the engine and height above sea level, but I have a feeling that 90% of folks would be just fine with c.d.'s advice.  My new redline Weber 32/36 came with 160 primary main, 140 secondary main, and 130 in both air corrects, so I've just ordered some new ones to match the above. 

Edited by Chamoix

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter

If I've learned anything in owning a 2002, it's that nothing is truly bolt on and go.

''Just bolt it on and go'' is the same as ''Its only a 10 minute job'', both only exist in the mind of unicorns.

truer statements have never been made....... :)

2xM3

I would NOT start with CD's prescription. Everyone raves about it, but my results were terrible... It's NOT for everyone and I wouldn't use it as a starting point for a daily driver.

As I mentioned in my previous post, contact Pierce manifolds. They were extremely helpful when I had trouble tuning mine.

Rocan's pretty much nailed it already. 

One thing worth mentioning though.  When buying the carb through someone who deals with these cars and carbs often, they'll often jet them to get the carbs pretty close to your application.  They tend to cost a bit more than directly from redline, but the cost difference is pretty much offset by the jet pricing.  I know Ireland Eng. does this (if you call, or put in cam/comp/elevation info. in comments section). Korman does this, La Jolla, 2002haus, and others do as well.

Edited by AceAndrew