• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternate coil for EDIS?

Grover

Currently I have the stock Ford coil running on my EDIS. While it works fine, I don't like the plug wires at all and choices are very limited given that the terminals are odd-ball. I know some folks have also used the Accel 140028 coil but I've been unable to find one in the US (as they were fitted to Euro spec cars only.) Anybody know another coil that can work in place of the Accel unit that is a plug and play for the EDIS but has standard plug wire sockets? Thanks.

MIller's Mule says they have the Accel in stock:

http://www.millersmule.com/MillersMuleStore/en/ignition-coils-and-wires/44-accel-super-4-cyl-coil-pack-with-straight-plugs.html

I've bought other stuff from them and they seem reputable (Although maybe their website hasn't been updated with current stock...)

Rob S
'69 2002; '04 330i ZHP; 2018 X1; 2014 535i; 2017 340i

I don't know how my megasquirt guide isn't a sticky yet. What's a guy gotta do!?

Accel 140028

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,373796/sid,dca5c0a37bb909f4744fa7a48eefb1db/

This is an excellent coil and you can use the stock wires.

still excellent and I think your guide is still referenced a lot (and appreciated!)... only what I think he is getting at is what I found out several months ago, Accel isn't making this model with these particular posts any longer... I shopped hi and lo (a lot of stores were advertizing them but didn't actually have any) until I found Miller's Mule... he somehow had managed to find and horde a bunch of them.

Note he also has another one that is black but looks exactly like the Accel... didn't ask him the difference, just got the Accel.

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Most any edis coil off a four cylinder or V8 would work... 

I wanted to be able to use my nice yellow wires that I had from my distributor, but had a hard time finding an accel and wasn't willing to spend 75 bucks when a stock coil is half the cost and still plenty of juice for most applications. 

So I did some hunting and part number crossing and came up with this. 40 + shipping, plugs right in, and allows you to use stock leads. win win.

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1788308

Check Rock Auto and you should find it. 

EDIT:

WARNING: I LATER REALIZED THAT THE ABOVE COIL HAS POSTS TOO SMALL FOR THE STOCK IGNITION LEADS. KINGSBORNE WIRES CAN MAKE A USABLE SET OF WIRES, BUT I SUGGEST FINDING AN ALTERNATIVE PACK. 

Edited by Rocan

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

i think your putting to much of an emphasis on coil packs, no matter witch coil pack you go with it will look a little strange if your thinking about the origanal look of the 2002 ignition system. i personally use accel 140018 witch would be a direct replacement for a ford escourt of the ford EDIS era. mazda also used edis4 in that time so that could be another option for you to research. i use megajolt with a weber 38/38 and the main reason i switched was because i hated distributors. 

• 8 months later...